Menu

Anyone switched from OPGTTR to AAR?

jmarchman

Hi all,

I used the OPGTTR for my two older boys, and I drug them both through it the entire way.  I did the AAR Pre-Reading book with my 5yo daughter (because I don't think OPGTTR does a good job with letter sounds in those first couple dozen lessons) and she really enjoyed it.  I have been hesitant to start AAR 1 because it is another expensive investment and she is my last child.  Plus, I know OPGTTR works... it's just hard to get through lessons... like pulling teeth.

But... she's also my last, and I *know* without a doubt that OPGTTR is no fun, so why not switch to something fun.  I'm concerned that all the levels aren't out yet, too, though, and what if at the end, It's not a complete reading program?

What would you do?

I know that I bought AAR  I thinking it would be great like AAS is and I have been very disappointed. The lessons are too shallow and go too quickly without enough support in between in my opinion. I know that you can go as slowly as you like through each lesson but there is not enough support in the consumable workbook and I found myself having to go to all kinds of other resources to amplify the AAR lessons.

You might want to look at the Core Knowledge Skills Strand available for downloading free on the Core Knowledge website or the engageny website: http://www.engageny.org/. Use the search box to put in "Core Knowledge Skills Strand K"(or 1 for first grade).  I used the K and some of the 1st grade modules a lot with DD this year, along with the accompanying workbook exercises—a great deal, FREE! . Another program I see recommended a lot here is Logic of English Foundations (LOE) . I plan to start DD on level B in the near future.

J.

Hi all,

I used the OPGTTR for my two older boys, and I drug them both through it the entire way.  I did the AAR Pre-Reading book with my 5yo daughter (because I don't think OPGTTR does a good job with letter sounds in those first couple dozen lessons) and she really enjoyed it.  I have been hesitant to start AAR 1 because it is another expensive investment and she is my last child.  Plus, I know OPGTTR works... it's just hard to get through lessons... like pulling teeth.

But... she's also my last, and I *know* without a doubt that OPGTTR is no fun, so why not switch to something fun.  I'm concerned that all the levels aren't out yet, too, though, and what if at the end, It's not a complete reading program?

What would you do?

The last level comes out this year, so I wouldn't let that stop you. At the end of Level 4, students have the phonics and word attack skills necessary to sound out high school level words, though they may not know the meaning of all higher level words.(Word attack skills include things like dividing words into syllables, making analogies to other words, sounding out the word with the accent on different word parts, recognizing affixes, etc…)

My friend tried OPGTR with her youngest, but it wasn't a good fit for him, and AAR did end up working well for them. I'd look through the online samples and see what you think. You can see samples of all of the lessons in the TM, the activity book, and the readers here.  I know my kids really needed the intensive work AAR does and would have really been helped by it (it wasn't out back then). I ended up having to piecemeal this kind of stuff together on my own, and spent a lot of time doing what AAR already has laid out. The activities, fluency pages, readers, and word cards let you review as much or as little as your child needs before moving on.  And if you order from AALP, they have a 1 year, 100% guarantee if it doesn't work out. 

We tried to trudge through OPGTR and it was trudging through. It was working but was something we had to do. I drooled over AAR for months and finally just got it and now all of our school day is joyful, nothing is the 'just do this then we will do...' Attitude.

I am very happy with AAR and how dd is progressing. The built in review and skills are. Wry helpful and dd thinks it is fun. The fluency sheets aren't her favorite but I am seeing major reading improvements we we do take the time to do them.

I just wish I had bought it sooner so we would be further along already.