Menu

For those using or have used HOD CtC-I need your input

Disney Dreaming

I have been thinking of using HOD CtC next year for my rising 5th grader. However, I noticed in looking at the pdf schedule of the first week that Rod and Staff's English is only used 2x that week. Is it regularly scheduled only twice per week? If so, do you feel that is enough for a rising 5th grader or are you scheduling more lessons? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

R&S is scheduled to be used half of a book with that guide and half with the next. You rotate between the R&S English book and the writing curriculum each week. Since R&S English only goes up to 10th grade, HOD has you scheduled to finish book 6 by the end of JR. High and books 7-10 will be scheduled for high school. I am not an expert in this area, but the LA contained within the HOD guides has been plenty for us. ;)

I am using CtC this year for my 5th grade son. He did R&S 3 last year because it was his first year home for 4th. This year I skipped level 4 and tried doing level 5. Even at half speed 5 is a LOT of grammar, so I really think it's plenty. We ended up going back to level 4 2-3 times per week because level 5 felt cumbersome with what we already had to do. The only thing we dumped was WWtB. I opted to do the writing activities in R&S and added a creative writing component instead.

I've chronicled our whole year up to Unit 17 on my blog if you want to see what to expect :) We are having a great year! He is loving it. I rarely if ever hear any complaining from him. He loves the books :) There isn't much I would change about it. I did add a few random things, but they probably weren't necessary.

http://www.monarchroom.com/search/label/HOD%20CtC%20Week%20in%20Review