Menu

For those who need motivation to work out...

AlmiraGulch

Today I downloaded this app called FitnessPact.  Basically you commit to working out X number of days a week.  The app tracks your workouts, either by gym check-ins, or FitBit or other apps it syncs with, or by using MapMyFitness (another free app) if you walk, run, bike, walk the dog, or whatever, outside.  If you have an iPhone, you can also install a sister app that has a motion detector to track your workouts.

Anyway, along with committing to working out X days a week (and a workout only counts if it's at least 30 minutes long), you pledge money for if you don't.  I pledged $20.  For each workout I miss, they actually take $20 out of my bank account (or, a credit card, or PayPal, or however you sign up).

The money that people give up for missing workouts goes into a pot and is divided up between everyone who made their workout goals that week.  

I initially pledged $5, but then I realized $5 may not be enough to get me out of bed when I don't feel like working out, so I upped the ante.  

This, my dear friends, is called desperation.   :lol:   I think it'll be fun, though.  I sure don't like losing money, and it'll be nice to maybe make a few bucks for something I really need to do anyway.  One of my sisters signed up for it, too.

I used to use this app and loved it.  About 6 months ago, the app stopped accepting my workouts from both runkeeper and my Jawbone Up.  In the end, I had to cancel my account and dispute the charges through paypal after contacting customer service multiple times for resolution with no action taken and then finally no response from them at all.  This app is great when it works, but as a forewarning, do your workouts near the beginning of the week so you potentially have time to seek a resolution of the app stops working.  This is an amazing app and I made more money than I lost (in theory, since I never received it due to the dispute).

I used to use this app and loved it.  About 6 months ago, the app stopped accepting my workouts from both runkeeper and my Jawbone Up.  In the end, I had to cancel my account and dispute the charges through paypal after contacting customer service multiple times for resolution with no action taken and then finally no response from them at all.  This app is great when it works, but as a forewarning, do your workouts near the beginning of the week so you potentially have time to seek a resolution of the app stops working.  This is an amazing app and I made more money than I lost (in theory, since I never received it due to the dispute).

Wow!  Good to know!  Thanks for the warning.