Menu

Did you find there was a lot of overlap in Saxon Math 6/5 and 7/6?

Thinking of skipping ds (good at math) right from mid-5th grade math into Saxon 7/6. I didn't have him take it yet (tomorrow), but I think he can pass the 7/6 placement test, mainly just from being math intuitive, not that he has learned all the concepts in it!

Anyway, I looked at the scope and sequence for both 6/5 and 7/6, and it looks like there is a ton of overlap! He doesn't need in depth explanations, so even if they cover it quicker in 7/6, that's prbly ok.

Did you think there was a lot of overlap?

Thinking of skipping ds (good at math) right from mid-5th grade math into Saxon 7/6. I didn't have him take it yet (tomorrow), but I think he can pass the 7/6 placement test, mainly just from being math intuitive, not that he has learned all the concepts in it!

Anyway, I looked at the scope and sequence for both 6/5 and 7/6, and it looks like there is a ton of overlap! He doesn't need in depth explanations, so even if they cover it quicker in 7/6, that's prbly ok.

Did you think there was a lot of overlap?

Is he coming from another program?  If so, I would do whatever the placement test says.  The thing with Saxon is that the program builds, so even though it looks like there is a ton of overlap, it's a systematic, incremental build.