Menu

Seeking out States of Matter experiments with Chocolate?

I don't know about a curriculum, but we used chocolate when we studied states of matter.  We made molds for the chocolate.  It was fun.

Thanks. I need 12 lessons for our co-op class. We will be reading Chocolate Fever and then having fun with chocolate.

eta: off to hunt in pinterest

If you're studying it in general, definitely do something comparing melting and reforming the chocolate at different heats and then comparing the taste.  It changes the structure when it's exposed to more heat, which is why you melt it in a double boiler or at low heat in the microwave.

You could also do a bunch of stuff about different fat content in chocolate.

And about how chocolate is grown and processed.  And the history of chocolate.  You could make historic recipes for drinking chocolate.  And add spice like they used to.

When we were playing around with it, we were also thinking about how molds are made and how melting and cooling things and changing the state of matter and the structure of the substance is so common in our world - how many things are made that way and processed that we use all the time - food, but also products and toys and so forth.

Sounds like a fun unit.

There is an awesome book called The Science of Chocalate, written by Stephen T Beckett.

The experiments are laid out and discussed nicely in the book, but I also believe that the RSC (UK equivalent of the American Chemical Society) has put together lesson plans and demos to coincide. They are recommended for ages 11-16, but most certainly could be adapted!

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/eBook/978-0-85404-970-7#!divbookcontent

There is an awesome book called The Science of Chocalate, written by Stephen T Beckett.

The experiments are laid out and discussed nicely in the book, but I also believe that the RSC (UK equivalent of the American Chemical Society) has put together lesson plans and demos to coincide. They are recommended for ages 11-16, but most certainly could be adapted!

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/eBook/978-0-85404-970-7#!divbookcontent

Cool! I will check that out, thank you!

I should have mentioned the age group is 2nd to 3rd grade. But I am sure I can adapt just about any experiment to fit.