Menu

EXPLORE scores question

Momof3littles

My son completed EXPLORE testing for the first time as a 4th grader in November. We received the results yesterday, and I think he did pretty well.  They provided results in terms of percentiles for 8th graders. Am I understanding correctly that we'll receive additional information on how he compared to other 4th graders taking EXPLORE later in 2014 after the next two rounds of testing?

It appears he'll meet the criteria to apply to DYS.  I am not yet certain if we have any groups, etc. in our area that would make that worthwhile.  We have family in NC, so it is possible we could access some courses, etc. that way, but I have not looked into DYS that much yet other than knowing it exists LOL.  I am not certain whether he would get in, as we don't have IQ testing.  I know we could do test scores and port materials, but I'm not sure if his scores would be high enough (they are above qualifying for DYS but I don't know how high they are looking for when they review the application).

What happens at this point for a 4th grader?  He qualified for some of the online offerings, etc. based on his PIAT-r scores from 3rd grade.  We live in PA, so we had him take the PIAT-r as his first testing experience in 3rd grade (one of several approved tests in our state).  I assume it doesn't really change what we can actually access, other than opening up the ability to apply DYS if we want to go that route?

Congratulations! I think it depends on where you tested, re getting the additional information. We didn't receive such information through Belin Blank.

We submitted our DYS application with only Explore scores and a portfolio. For potentially acceptable samples of portfolio items, see this link:

http://www.giftedwiki.org/index.php?title=Davidson_Young_Scholars_Program_application_portfolio

I'm not sure if it matters that the scores need to be far above the cut off. The minimum mentioned on the YS qualification criteria is probably what they are looking for per grade level and if your son's scores are even a little above that, I think you can expect it to be considered only favorably. If they need additional information I believe they will contact you.

For us, it's the elists that have helped most. It's been very helpful to be able to discuss issues about acceleration without having to qualify each time why you are asking the questions you are asking. Other than that though I haven't reaped much of a benefit yet seeing that I already do a lot of my own research and most gatherings are above our budget to afford/ too far away atm.

We also got in with EXPLORE, portfolio, and some supplemental tests (done for purposes of early k entry, so done at age 4, and 4 years old). She had just turned 8 when she did the EXPLORE (2nd grade age, but scored as a 3rd grader). Her piano/theory teacher and lab science teacher did recommendations. I'd expected to get the"we want more information" letter, because the IQ scores were so old, but she got in.

We have connected with one other family, not terribly close, but close enough that we can make it work every month or two, and the girls can text/face time each other, and DD has really enjoyed their webinars. I've done some of the parent seminars as well. I found them useful. I find this forum more useful as far as day to day homeschooling goes.

Ds had scores right at the DYS acceptance levels and got in. Application isn't too bad. We had IQ testing done at the university, not expecting that his scores would be high enough. The DYS boards are useful. They've also had some webinars that ds has done that have been pretty cool.

Testing with the Explore through Duke TIP, we didn't get much information. They have online comparison with other testers for percentages in March, I think. I've gotten most useful comparison information when ds has tested with Northwestern NUMATS. Their toolbox has more comparisons.

There are online courses through Northwestern and Johns Hopkins CTY that kids can access with scores. Classes are pricey though.

The more involved report we got from Belin-Blank was very general. A prime example was that it recommended the JSHS for DD-which, given the JSHS, makes me think that it was triggered by her specific score, not anything else, because while the JSHS might be a reasonable target for a very advanced middle schooler who has a chance of competing with the top high school students, it's not really a good goal for an 8 yr old.

I should have clarified that we tested through Duke TIP.  Thanks for sharing the DYS info.  I have a friend who is a former gifted educator who has taught my DS1 in a homeschool co-op setting, and I am fairly sure she would be able to pull together a nice letter if we pursue DYS.  Off to check port examples. 

If you check past posts, there's one I did last Spring that includes a list of what was in DD8's portfolio (I admit, I went with including more than required).

One thing that I did that was reassuring to me was to run her portfolio samples by several people I know who have older kids in PS who are identified GT and/or are PS teachers-because, honestly, I had no clue exactly what was and wasn't above grade level for her age/grade except for math, where it's pretty obvious. Writing, especially was an area where it was helpful to have someone to teaches middle school language arts to tell me that, yes, DD's writing samples done at age 7-8 were at a similar level to what she regularly sees out of middle schoolers in honors classes (except for handwriting and that usually middle schoolers don't illustrate their homework).

I'm planning to pull together a similar portfolio, with samples and notes about the work, occasion, etc this year as well, because I think it will be nice to have all that saved digitally to look back on later (and, if we ever need to prove DD's advanced standing, it would be nice to have everything in one place ready to go). We'll see if it actually happens in about May :)

Compiling the DYS portfolio was actually more beneficial to me than for application purposes alone. It helped me set up a binder system so that other pieces could be easily added in as kiddo completed the project or work.

I also wrote a 7-page description of our parenting and homeschooling journey which I appended with the portfolio. In the document, I described each portfolio sample in as much detail as I could, and I also documented to some detail some of the key challenges we faced with him. It was like a mini parenting journal from ages 0-8.. I felt motivated to do this mainly because many of his portfolio pieces were not dated and I thought I should give a sort of date range when it was completed and also why he did it, what inspired him etc.

Yes, I still struggle with whether his work is all that far beyond age appropriate.  For example, if we look at things like MCT materials he's worked with over the last year-plus, technically he's on "grade level" in terms of when he's covered Island, Town, etc.  But I also know that I wasn't completing grammar exercises with 4 level analysis like that independently even in high school. We do poetry analysis as part of MCT, and of course the kids are doing Town in 4th grade and identifying all of these poetic devices, meter, etc.  I know that was material I didn't learn until high school, but yet, doing Town level in 4th grade is not unexpected. So is that 2+ years beyond grade level?

He's bright at math and accelerated but as a 4th grader we've completed Singapore 5B.  I decided to slow things down a bit this year and rather than move onto algebra, I had him make sure he was absolutely solid on decimals, percents, fractions, etc. We do the CWP books, but if I hand in samples like cwp 5 for a 4th grader, is that accelerated enough for DYS?  I have no idea.  He can do some algebra, has completed several proofs with adult  help, that type of thing.  I think of him as a mathy kid, but on both the PIAT-r and EXPLORE, his language skills were very high.  Math was high enough to qualify, but verbal was very high.  He is not the biggest fan of composing, and while he does a nice job, I don't know if he's accelerated at 2 years beyond say any other gifted kid his age.  Maybe, but I don't have an accurate point of reference, LOL.  We participate in a HS co-op, but my friend's DD who is DS1's age is most certainly gifted, and extremely talented at writing.  I'd say she's a stronger writer than he is.  So my exposure to 4th grade LA is teaching two bright and likely gifted kids who are very verbal to begin with, which makes it hard to know whether things like poems he's written, etc. are really that advanced. edited to add: yet his score on EXPLORE for English was a 22 overall (he's a 4th grader), so clearly that's an area of strength. 

A narrative will be helpful with science I'm sure, as he's passionate about electronics, wants to pursue a HAM radio certification, builds on breadboards, etc. and would enjoy explaining projects he's succeeded on and failed with.  I assume explaining a "failure" in a non age expected way would still be good portfolio fodder?