Menu

Update on friend's sick dog & neighbor's cat

RoughCollie

I was afraid my friend's dog, Sherman, was going to die from neglect.  We took him to the vet a few weeks ago and he had staph and yeast infections all over his skin, a bladder infection, a kidney infection, and a very bad ear infection.

Two weeks later (last week) we took him again and he is improving.  He is still not finished with his course of two antibiotics (testing done first to make sure he was on the right ones) and Prednisone.

He obviously feels better.  He still has the yeast infection on his skin.  At least he is not scratching and pulling out his hair.  He goes back to the vet on the 13th for another urinalysis and for a check-up.  He is also eating again, probably partially due to being on the Pred.  His hair hasn't had time to grow back.  Collies have very full double coats, and this one has a thin single coat, with hardly any hair on legs at all.

I will continue to closely monitor the situation, and to take the dog to the vet often until the yeast infection is gone.  My friend really likes my vet and is under no illusions about what I will do if she doesn't take care of this dog as the vet has instructed her to do. 

DS3 put the dog in his fenced area late yesterday afternoon while it was still light out.  He didn't see the cat curled up on the porch chair.  When he brought Aidan back in, Aidan saw the cat and lunged toward it, pulling the leash from DS3's hand. 

Aidan jumped onto the chair with the cat and the cat jumped off and over the porch wall.  DS3 got there in a second and grabbed the dog again.

DS3 was very upset about the cat having possibly gotten hurt.  I inspected the dog's hairy mouth (he has a mustache and a long beard) and saw no signs of cat on his hair or in his mouth.  I inspected the chair, the porch, and the snow, and there were no signs of blood.  I reassured DS3 that this cat leaps over the porch wall all the time, and tht she landed on her feet and went home.  Luckily, the dog did not grab and shake the cat, or she would have died instantly.  He took her by surprise, and I'm glad she has great reflexes.

We haven't seen the cat since.  She is a very smart cat, so I think she will not be visiting Aidan in the future.  I will call my neighbor and inquire about the cat this morning.  Twice a day, he blows a whistle and all 10 of his cats come running and line up in front of him to be fed.  After they eat, he plays with them, and they all follow him around while he does work in the barn and outside. 

I'm glad this happened, and that Aidan didn't run after the cat, because the cat problem may be solved.  I'm 99.9% sure that the cat is fine.  DS3 has never experienced Aidan's superior strength (as judged by others in the know), and I'm glad he is aware of it now.  Aidan looks like a cute, furry stuffed toy and his looks are deceiving.  The vet said he is heavier than he should be for his breed by 10 lbs. because of his muscles.  I might have to get him a Superdog cape for Christmas.

Jean, he will be going back to the vet every time I think he needs to go.  I'm paying for it, so there is no reason for Sherman's owner to refuse.  I know a lot about collies and I can tell if he's in need of veterinary care.

Besides, I have a sword hanging over the owner's head:  Me.  I remind her of this every time I talk to her, so nearly daily.  I can be a real PITA when I'm riled up, and I never let go.

It will make my life a whole lot easier if that cat and her string of cat friends stay away from my dog.  Aidan has been going from window to window looking for her this morning.  He always does that.

I really like my neighbor's cats when I am visiting them at his house.  The last time I was there, Shadow led a parade of 6 or 7 cats, and they all followed me home, right into what I like to think of as The Jaws of Death.  Maybe now the cats will believe me.

My friend is not all there.  I'm convinced of that because she is unreasonable about this and other things, like her finances.  Either that, or she just isn't very intelligent.  Probably both.

The cat came back!  She is sitting on the car, cleaning her paws and staring at Aidan who is ferociously leaping at the window and making lots of noise.  Yes, she is sitting on snow.  So far, I haven't seen her on the front porch, though.