Menu

Rocketry? FaithManor or anyone with experience...

Heather in Neverland

We've done them with our cub scout den, and with my 18 year old nephew, who is an avid fan.

besides the rockets, you will need: engines, wadding, ignighters, and a launch pad. the engines and launch pad come in different sizes to match the rocket size. you'll also need batteries for the launch pad, and glue for the rocket assembly. safety goggles are a really good idea when working with the glue ( ask my DH and the ER doc who treated him about that! it's fast flowing stuff.)

the rockets can be preassembled, snap- together, or on need of assembly. the first two types are usually small, half inch diameter, six inches long, or so.

some of the kits on Amazon come with a launch pad. the rocket description should say what size engine it needs. iirc, they are letter sizes. I think ours used "b".

after DH's glue in the eye experience, we always use the snap together with the younger boys, but the larger ones are definitely cooler!

( sorry for the weird capitalization. I'm on my phone, and it has its own rules.)

Maus gave you good advice. We always begin with level 1 kits that fly on B motors. On a still day those

will not go more 400 ft. usually and especially sincenewbies tend to not get the fins on perfectly spaced and aligned which creates drag and spiraling. For a that you'll need a clearing/field 1200 ft. X 1200 ft.

to launch. Here is a question though: Is model rocketry legal in Malaysia? There are places in the world

that minors Canberra arrested for being I possession of the propellant ie. rocket motor. So you need to

make sure this is okay first.

Estes makes nice beginner kits and their motors arenvery reliable. If he takes it up and truly loves it,

when you get back to the States, we can talk about skill level 3 and 4 kits plus custom design and

higher power launched such as F and G motors. If you come to visit your mom in Michigan, you could take

him to a NAR launch at the Muskegon field or swing over our direction and he can meet the rocket team

and go launch one of our previous year's competition rockets and dh's high powered monster ( H-J motor)

and if the weather holds we could get out the mile high altitude flyer.

Maus gave you good advice. We always begin with level 1 kits that fly on B motors. On a still day those

will not go more 400 ft. usually and especially sincenewbies tend to not get the fins on perfectly spaced and aligned which creates drag and spiraling. For a that you'll need a clearing/field 1200 ft. X 1200 ft.

to launch. Here is a question though: Is model rocketry legal in Malaysia? There are places in the world

that minors Canberra arrested for being I possession of the propellant ie. rocket motor. So you need to

make sure this is okay first.

Estes makes nice beginner kits and their motors arenvery reliable. If he takes it up and truly loves it,

when you get back to the States, we can talk about skill level 3 and 4 kits plus custom design and

higher power launched such as F and G motors. If you come to visit your mom in Michigan, you could take

him to a NAR launch at the Muskegon field or swing over our direction and he can meet the rocket team

and go launch one of our previous year's competition rockets and dh's high powered monster ( H-J motor)

and if the weather holds we could get out the mile high altitude flyer.

Yikes. I didn't even think about it possibly being illegal. Good call. I better check that out first.

We will be in Michigan June 11- July 25. I would LOVE for him to see some really cool rockets!! It will be his 16th birthday so I want to do something special. I may just take you up on that offer! Thanks so much!