Menu

Anyone use Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry Level 1 The Arts Kog?

OneStepAtATime

Trying to beef up our chemistry and have Real Science 4 Kids, along with Mr. Q Elementary Chemistry and McHenry's The Elements (I know, overkill) because the kids really want more and this is NOT an area I have any experience in.  My daughter really likes art as well as science (she is 13).  I was wondering if anyone had used the Arts KOG designed to couple with Real Science 4 KIds?

I'm also planning to buy RS4K chemistry for a couple of my kids next fall, but I haven't heard good reviews about the Kogs.  Have you done a thread search?  Also, I would google 'RS4K kogs reviews' and see if anything pops up.

Edited to say: I don't think adding the McHenry stuff would be overkill at all.  That's what I'm planning to do, too.  It actually sounds like fun.

My plans:  We're going through the RS4K Chemistry middle school textbook, EM's The Elements, EM's Carbon Chemistry and I have a big book called The Elements with color pictures and details of each element on the periodic table.  I also have Janice Van Cleave's chemistry here and I plan to do some of the activities with the youngest one (who will be 1st grade next year). 

I'm also planning to buy RS4K chemistry for a couple of my kids next fall, but I haven't heard good reviews about the Kogs.  Have you done a thread search?  Also, I would google 'RS4K kogs reviews' and see if anything pops up.

Edited to say: I don't think adding the McHenry stuff would be overkill at all.  That's what I'm planning to do, too.  It actually sounds like fun.

My plans:  We're going through the RS4K Chemistry middle school textbook, EM's The Elements, EM's Carbon Chemistry and I have a big book called The Elements with color pictures and details of each element on the periodic table.  I also have Janice Van Cleave's chemistry here and I plan to do some of the activities with the youngest one (who will be 1st grade next year). 

O.k. I'll check out any other threads here and google again.  I tried that before but I admit I wasn't very diligent at tracking down all the rabbit holes.

I've got the Elements book, too.  Love it.  My mom may be getting the matching flash cards for the kids for Christmas...

Thanks for the response! :)

I've got the Elements book, too.  Love it.  My mom may be getting the matching flash cards for the kids for Christmas...

Oh, there's flashcards, too?!  That's a great idea.  I'm going to look into those, too.  Are you planning to spend the entire school year on chemistry?  

Oh, there's flashcards, too?!  That's a great idea.  I'm going to look into those, too.  Are you planning to spend the entire school year on chemistry?  

There are flash cards and they look great but I am hoping the price will come down a bit since I already spent a lot.

As for a whole year on chemistry, well, I hadn't even planned to do chemistry just yet because we had so many other things to do but the kids started begging so we jumped in with both feet.  I already had Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry elementary level (had it from a sale purchase last year) and The Elements book but it wasn't enough so I impulse purchased Mr. Q after recommendations from the Hive then my mom impulse purchased McHenry and gave it to me.  Still trying to integrate it all in a way that makes sense :).   I am trying to plot out everything now to see if we will stretch this out for the whole year or switch over to physics or something else maybe in the spring...not sure.

Are you doing a whole year of chemistry?  Do you have a chemistry set for experiments?

I'm looking at video options, too.  The kids loved the Bill Nye videos we own (just two, both on chemistry) but they weren't in depth enough.  Wish he had a whole bunch of videos on each topic, with more depth options for those that want them.  Even my 13 year old picky teenage daughter thinks he is funny.