Menu

Creating a plan for my language study at college

elegantlion

Because of the direction I'd like to go if I head into graduate studies, I need to study both French and German. For my degree I need 12 hours (2 years) of one language. My current plan is to start French one year and then add German the next (beginner level classes are only offered in the fall), having two languages the second year. 

Should I consider testing out of any level? Obviously that would save money and room on my schedule (currently on a 5 year plan). But would the benefits of being in a classroom outweigh the savings? Depending on what graduate study I move to, I need to have more than a one or two year familiarity with the languages. Testing would allow me to progress farther in both languages. 

I have some basic vocabulary knowledge of French, yet it's been a long time since I truly studied it. My German knowledge is less so. 

What are some pros and cons for testing out a semester or two? 

You could get the Pimsleur tapes from the library to cover the speaking part, and some fairy tales and a dictionary and work on your vocab, and review the grammar a bit, then try testing out. Barron makes some nice do-it-yourself review books, or at least they did. French the Easy Way? Something like that. That would help with the grammar part. If I could test out of the first semester, I would do it. You don't want to waste tution money and time on the easy stuff. I also would make myself read with a dictionary in both languages, as soon as I had a semester or two. That is a really easy way to build vocabulary.

Nan