Menu

Space, planets, planes for 5yr old

Today I asked my girls what books they have enjoyed and would like more of ( I am getting ideas for Christmas presents) My 4yr old said she wants books about space, planets and planes. She has always had a fascination with planes and over the recent months asks a lot of questions about planets and the solar system. What books would you recommend for her, she will be 5yrs old in a few months. Thanks :)

Well - not books, but we had a great time at that age making a HUGE mural on our hall wall of space and the planets.  We printed out the planets (many took four or five sheets of paper taped together after printing) and colored/labeled them, used black butcher paper and used sparkly stars to add constellations, added moons, etc. 

I think we got it all from here:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/themes/astronomy.shtml

An oldie but goodie is H.A. Rey's Find the Constellations. He has another titled The Stars but I haven't seen that one. Yeah, he's also the author of Curious George.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=find+the+constellations+rey&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=22367805405&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2049645461284161706&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1xmaksdnr6_e

Seasider says:

An oldie but goodie is H.A. Rey's Find the Constellations. He has another titled The Stars but I haven't seen that one.

:iagree:

When she is older (age 8-10+), look for the book:

365 Starry Nights by Chet Raymo

You could read it yourself now to learn things to share with her.  It is VERY easy.

You don't need to start on January 1st for this book; you can just read the entry for tonight.  I do advise, however, that sometimes the entries make the most sense if you read them a month at a time.  (So, if you can't start on January 1st, start on November 1st to understand what is written on November 17th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Other things I recommend:

1) We watch Stargazers on PBS.  It is only 5 minutes long.  We TIVO it.  Apparently, you can also see weekly episodes here online.

2) We are lucky enough to live in a college town.  We just discovered that there are FREE Planetarium shows (aimed for children) once a month through the local Astronomy Club.  The grad students take turns doing a ~20-30 minute show on an astronomy subject.  This month it was about the life cycle of stars.  Last month we toured the Solar System.  Starting a half-hour before show time, the Physics and Astronomy undergrad clubs pull out cool hands-on stuff for the kids to play with.  They answer questions.

This is good for everyone involved.  The grad students get practice presenting astronomy concepts for the general public.  Many undergrads will go into teaching of some sort or another, so they get practice explaining a concept over and over; plus they are challenged by random questions.  The children get to play with the physics stuff "hands on," rather than just watch, and they are exposed to the college students as mentors.  Oh, and there are also liquid nitrogen frozen marshmallows. :hurray:

After the show, we are led to the roof for the telescopes and star viewing.  We have seen Venus, the sun, the moon, and a friend who caught a later show saw a galaxy.

(If anyone wishes their local university planetarium did this, contact me, and I will send you to our local folks.  They may be willing to mentor a new group that wants to do this.)

Oh, and FTR, the planetarium is tiny.  It seats under 30 people.

3) When your dd is a little older, contact the local astronomy group.  Google "Astronomy [your town]."   Find out when the star-viewing is.  Let them know that you have young children, and you do not want to attend the meeting.  We have tried to attend with young children, and an hour business meeting, followed by an hour astronomy subject that is interesting to me, but not to anyone under the age of 12, is not fair to anyone else (adults or children) in the room. 

If the astronomy group is smart, they will welcome you under whatever terms you can attend.  After all, kids learning this as a hobby is the future of the group.  We just don't want to kill that enthusiasm by making them sit.

4) You'll need a star chart.  Here is one, but there are several types.  Search for "star chart" or "star wheel" and pick the one that works best for you.

5) Usborne 100 Things to Spot in the Night Sky is great.  We've gotten a lot more use out of it than I thought we would.  There are wonderful stories of the Constellations on each card.  Even Grandpa was enthralled!

6) Usborne also has a Curriculum for Space.

Disclaimer:  We have not used any of the new Usborne Curriculum.  We have not used the Space Curriculum.

We HAVE, however, used a few of the Old Usborne Curriculum from 5 years ago.  It was called 10 Terrific Weeks.   We did Apple Tree Farm (lots of reading and cooking).  We did Under the Sea (Lots of Usborne Quicklinks and science experiments and pirates).  Currently we are in week 7 of Dinosaurs.

I can't speak for the current programs for how good they are or for what age, but I know that the Usborne programs we do are consistently dd6's favorite subject.  And she learns tons!

Speak to your local Usborne representative if you want to see some of the supplies or find what level will work for your family.

7) Green Laser pointer.  These are good for pointing out constellations.  You can get any color, but green is best for the night sky. 

I've seen them in price from $10 to over $100, and this is a situation where you get what you pay for.  (Ask me how I know).  If you are not sure how much you will use this, then get the cheapest one you can find, and upgrade if it dies on you, and you can't live without it.

WARNING: LASERS SHOULD NEVER BE POINTED INTO SOMEONE'S EYES.  NOT PEOPLE EYES. NOT THE CAT'S EYES.  NOT INTO NEIGHBOR'S WINDOWS.  

Yes, we discuss this warning with our children every time the laser pointer is brought out; and mom and dad are in charge of storage of the laser pointer. 

8) Pitsco has a lot of fun engineering projects.  They may good Christmas gifts for Dad.  And Dad should share.

Here are their choices for planes.

Disclaimer: we have not used any of  their plane kits.

Many Pitsco projects are probably too old for your dd5.  However, I would still order a catalog.  It would behoove you to know that Pitsco exists and what they offer. 

Their paper engineering kits are very reasonable.