Menu

WTM history: What you use and how you use it? Favorite Spine?

Hello,

I am doing a lot of searching and reading in the history threads.  Son is requesting we go back to WTM way of history.  We do writing via WTM.  However I do need handholding for writing topics in relation to history.  I am not good at this at all.

I have seen Regentrude's wonderful postings on her way of history via WTM.   I love her idea of incorporating TC video lectures.  I am coming from TOG.  TOG doesn't seem to be working for my son.  It did wonderfully with my oldest but not my son or my daughter.  I will be using MOH with her after we get done with Unit 2 if we decide not to continue with TOG.  I am still in research mode. 

So I would love a peak in your day and how you do WTM history.   Also how do you assign writing assignments?  My son wants to be told what to write about. 

Did you use SWB rec for History in high school or did you get your own like Regentrude?

How many of you used History of the Ancient World book of SWB?  I have read this is a book for Adults! 

What is your favorite WTM edition for history in high school?  I have all of her WTM editions on my shelf.  ;)

I also have Well Educated Mind which I will dig out and re-read again. 

ETA:  I do have the Speigovel book that goes with TOG yr 4.  I am hoping to use it.

I am not sure whether to stop where we are at with US history and go back to it in 12th grade or continue and then do Ancients next year. 

Thanks!!

Holly IN

We "do" history the WTM way more or less.  For Ancients both kids used HOAW and loved it.  My kids followed her suggestions (Foundations, Context, Book Notes and Composition tabs) for the most part (I didn't have them write weekly history reports - more like monthly). They read about 10 - 13 books and we discussed them; they wrote on most. 

I wanted to cover a greater span of time (400 -1800) this year so we opted for Spielvogel's Human Odyssey as our spine.  Ds takes notes; he writes history papers about once a month.  I've incorporated, the Annotated Mona Lisa, The Classical Music Experience and the Teaching Company's War and World History (this kid is interested in weapons).  The literature follows last year's pattern as well.

HTH.