Menu

SL Core 200 {Questions}

I know I could ask about this on the SL board, but I thought I'd ask here for more objective opinions.

Originally I was pretty excited about doing this core, I think it was the idea behind it. However, I was looking at some of the resources & more specifically the spine for this core & now am not feeling keen about it all. It's no biggie as I have a few years to decide, BUT.. now I'm curious about this core.

For instance, I noticed in the samples there's Catechism memorising going on. Our religion/denomination does have a Catechism. The spine of the entire core is written by members from 2 differing denominations, neither of which we are a part of.

Have you used this core? Did you feel it was specific to a denomination or did you find it pretty neutral? I really don't want to spend money on it & be bummed, kwim?!

This is the core I bought and dd just doesn't seem to get done. We always have something "better" to do. I am a poor person to ask about this core but I am not sure how many here have tried it so will give you some of our experiences. The core is on dds shelf so can look more if you have questions.

For the literature I ended up buying an Excellence in Literature book which dd prefers. Her writing has improved greatly with it but we are completely out of the SL order because of it. Using some different novels etc. We weren't happy with the SL notes for literature or the essay guidelines. EIW is a better fit for us.

The religious books are fascinating and ideal if you use Westminster and are reformed. We are Presbyterian so not a problem for us. Not sure how well it would work for others. It would would be fine with the 39 articles of confession but not sure for others. That element has been our favorite part of the core and the only part we have used as written by SL. The core isn't meeting our needs nearly as well as they have in the past. This is the only high school core we have tried and I do not plan to buy any of the others.

Hmm, interesting, thank you! :)

Someone else said they had little issue with it once they removed the Catechism, which I was wondering about myself.. 

The big thing is we did Core F this year & it's left us a little pinched for finishing up a few other Cores I was aiming for depending on how much time I have left with my son at home. He'd be officially done with highschool by the end of Grade 10 based on where we live BUT he could still do Grades 11 - 12 at home. Even if he doesn't I might still obtain the cores & we could read through them in a more casual way, kwim? Anyway, it left me wondering about bumping this core, which might happen if it comes to time constraints..