Menu

Math Mammoth - Light Blue vs. Yellow

My 9yo likes Math Mammoth. We are currently doing the third grade review book, just to get used to the new style and scope. (We were doing MEP.) I'm not sure which direction to go when we start the 4th grade book.

He loves the Zaccaro book, so I thought about getting the Yellow series for him, then working through concepts as needed using the Kitchen Table Math books and the whiteboard. This way he'd have about 1 page a day for basic work and plenty of time for other living math.

On the other hand, he likes to be independent. And he's not slow at math so I don't think 2 pages a day will be undoable for him. Plus I am swamped with life right now, and that's not going to get any better. So I could probably just give him the Light Blue books and let him go.

Thoughts? Opinions of the yellow books?

I think you're referring to what Maria Miller, the Math Mammoth author, calls the Golden series.  In your situation, I'd get the Light Blue worktext series rather than the Golden worksheet series. You'll have more options that way, and your cost will be almost the same since you're looking at grade 4 and up (rather than starting at the beginning).

If your DS needs/wants to work more independently, the Light Blue series contains the teaching right there on the worktext pages, directed to the student. If you still want to teach him or use other products alongside MM, you can just have him skip the teaching sections, which really don't take up that much page space normally anyway. Also, sometimes kids need new concepts explained in a different way, so having the teaching available in Light Blue, even if you don't use it much, might come in handy sometimes even alongside another curriculum. Furthermore, you'll get access to as many free worksheets as you want when you buy the Light Blue series. Light Blue includes a free worksheet generator, so as needed you can create worksheets on whatever topics you want, set for your formatting preferences, number of problems on a page, etc. 

So you could buy the Grade 4 through 6 (three years' worth) Light Blue package for $70 currently and get the teaching built-in with free access to on-demand worksheets, or you could spend $65 and get the Golden Series worksheets only with no teaching built in.

Do you already get the email newsletters from Ms. Miller?  Just the other day she announced there will be a sale on her products a little closer to Thanksgiving, so if you can wait a couple weeks you can get an even better deal.

Yes, I guess it is the gold series. Hmm, I do get emails from her, perhaps not the right ones because I didn't read about the sale. I'll have to look. I do see how the light blue will give me more options. Thanks!

She didn't give any actual details about the sale yet, just that there will be one.  So you didn't miss much.  :coolgleamA:

Here's the quote from the newsletter:  "Just a heads-up: the traditional Math Mammoth Thanksgiving sale is coming soon! I will send another email about it when it starts."  http://www.homeschoolmath.net/newsletter/volume77-november-2013.htm