Menu

Independent Nature Study (4th-5th grade)

kirstenhill

My DD is much more interested in nature study than my younger boys are, so I am trying to provide her resources to pursue intentional nature study on her own.   She is currently working through "Nature Connection."   What other resources could I be providing for her to read/work through over the next year or two?  This is the area of science she is most interested in, so I am hoping to find ways for her to study this in depth while we still study a broader variety of topics all together.  Thanks. :-)

IDK if this would help, but we love all of the BBC/David Attenborough DVD/book series. Life of Birds, Life of Mammals, etc. There are so many. The quality & filming cannot be matched. My college kids have fond memories from their younger years of reading through the companion books as well. It is very much in the evolutionary camp however, so that could be a deal-breaker for some. 

IDK if this would help, but we love all of the BBC/David Attenborough DVD/book series. Life of Birds, Life of Mammals, etc. There are so many. The quality & filming cannot be matched. My college kids have fond memories from their younger years of reading through the companion books as well. It is very much in the evolutionary camp however, so that could be a deal-breaker for some. 

Thanks for the suggestion...I think we are more looking for books than videos (we seem to find plenty of educational shows to watch about all kinds of things!), especially if there are any other books like Nature Connection that combine reading with hands-on observation-type activities at a level interesting to an upper elementary age student.  I've done some searching, and I've mostly found things that are aimed a bit younger for parents to do with younger kids, or things that look more just like reference materials (we already have some bird guides, etc). 

Have you ever seen Gerald Durrell's A Practical Guide for the Amateur Naturalist? It's OOP, but readily available at a low price. I bought a hardcover copy years ago for probably $5-$9 including shipping!

I don't know if you could find samples online, but if you have questions about it maybe I can tell you about it from my copy. If memory serves, it might be divided into seasons for study. Definitely not at an early elementary level, and doesn't feel like a "kid" book at all really, but would very accessible for your daughter's age if she really has an interest in the subject. Maybe I can snap some photos and to show you what it's like, if that's helpful. 

Have you looked at Barb's website for nature study and the Outdoor Hour Challenges? http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/2009/02/announcing-outdoor-hour-challenge-ebook.html

They span all ages. We really enjoy them as it's something that can be picked up whenever the mood strikes us, or weekly. In most cases we try to have a nature study on Fridays. (Although this semester is unusual for us.) A motivated 5th grader could easily read the ebooks (maybe print them?) on their own.

You could also make her a nature study/naturalist kit. They sell something like it at HomeschoolScienceTools, but essentially it's just a backback with field guides, journal, coloring pencils, binoculars, bug jar/critter container, net, loupes/magnifying glasses etc. So your dd can just pick up and take off when the desire strikes her. 

If the art/drawing journal aspect is something she enjoys, there are a ton of Pinterest links for nature journals and nature study. 

The Private Eye is also a great idea. http://www.the-private-eye.com/index.html  This is my hands down favorite science resource. After a few times my kids got the hang of it and now they have to "loupe" everything. It's a cool book, full of nature study type ideas. All ages.

You could also set aside a tabletop for her and keep a "nature museum". Basically a place to store all her treasures, samples, specimens, microscope, loupes, etc. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those out...I was kind of shying away from online resources because of not being able to "Take them with you" outside very easily, but that's a great idea to print out ebooks or web pages!

I print everything!!! I'm a huge Bravewriter lover. But if I didn't have it all printed and in my binder so I could highlight and sticky note tab---it would never get done. I do not enjoy reading on screens. 

The Outdoor Hour Challenge ebooks are also full of notebook page templates. We haven't used all of them, but have done some. They're great for adding to a nature journal or binder.