Menu

13 yob, ITBS scores, Alg. I and remediation question.

How's that for a title to a post? I tried to hit all the high points. Here goes.

I have a 13 yo ds who's in a bit of a pickle. I'm confused what to do with him. He has always scored very highly in his conceptual understanding of math and ability to solve problems. He has struggled with math computation. I know why. He's a "big picture" kind of guy. He can look at a problem and tell me the answer -- no figuring on a piece of paper, nothing like that, nada. When it came time for him to learn his basic math facts, we were at constant loggerheads. He still sees no reason to memorize them to the extent that they are automatic. When confronted with reasons why he should, he always says that he eventually gets the answer right, why does it matter that he's slow when it comes to figuring. Besides, he says, that's what calculators are for. (I don't let him use a calculator for math for that reason.)

This past school year, he did Algebra I. He bombed the course. This was not because of any problem with the concepts. It's just that the lessons and problem sets took him so long to complete, he'd just give up (i.e., that computation speed problem coming back to bite him). Lessons sometimes took HOURS, literally. He also would resort to solving the problems in his head, not showing any work, getting the answer right, and, when explaining his method to me, it was clear he wasn't using Algebra in his solutions. End result -- I flunked him. He's redoing the course this year.

ITBS results just came back. Once again, he's very high in concepts & estimation and in problem solving & data interpretation (i.e., 90% or above). He's all over the place in math computation. Here are his scores:

add/subtract whole numbers 75%

multiply/divide whole numbers 25%

add/subtract with fractions 60%

multiply/divide with fractions 67%

add/subtract with decimals 0%

multiply with decimals 60%

divide with decimals 0%

I've thought of a few options:

(1) drill sheets -- We've done calculadders in the past, but he's very resistant to them. It's like pulling teeth to get him to cooperate. I'm not looking forward to more arguments if this is the option I choose.

(2) Key to fractions and decimals -- I've not seen these, but I'm wondering whether they would give him the boost he needs if I had him just do a lesson or a couple of pages every other day. I really think this type of practice may help his retention of basic facts as well.

(3) Life of Fred -- He really likes the LOF Algebra I book. I switched to LOF Algebra late last year when he was bombing out so badly in his other text. I thought I might have him work through the fractions and decimals books this year in addition to his work in his Algebra course.

I'm open for comments and recommendations concerning any of the approaches I've considered or any other options anyone may suggest. I really need help here.

Thanks for reading so long.

I've seen an ad, probably on PBS, where students are doing competing in speed drills against a calculator. The students doing it in their heads beat the calculators every time. (they are simple problems) Maybe similar drills would help your ds start to see the advantage? It's his attitude that needs the biggest adjustment and that is often the hardest thing to change.

You might also look into QuarterMile Math instead of drill sheets, especially if your ds is competive. Some kids don't like them so you may want to get the free sample first. I've also moved my ds's math drill and review from math into memory work. I don't know if that would help your ds adjust your ds's attitude, but he might not see drill as eating into learning new concepts time.

To force your ds to show his work, you might try assigning problems where he is only supposed to do the set up. You don't want to see the answer. Dana Mosely (Chalk Dust lecutrer) has impressed my ds into showing his work neatly, but often Dana refers to avoiding mistakes as the reason, so that might not work for you.

I've found the Key to ..... books excellent for understanding the concepts, but they severely lack in practice and drill. I don't think they'd give your ds what he needs.

My ds enjoys the LOF books also, but if you're looking for making those basic facts **automatic**, I think LOF is a bit short on that as well. But it's great for understanding the concepts. Ds & I prefer it to the Key to books. If your ds doesn't KNOW his facts, he might enjoy the Math the Fun Way series (http://citycreek.com) since it's story based, but my ds needed drill after that.

He wouldn't touch it. His brother, who is two years younger, beat him at it regularly. The program immediately lost all attraction for him. KWIM?

Thank you for your insights re Key to . . . books and LOF. We didn't have a practice problem with LOF Algebra because I got the Home Companion volume. Besides, because he enjoyed the text, he did more problems using LOF than he ever completed in his regular Algebra textbook.

Wonder if FlashMaster or something similar would be any different than QMM? Maybe if I kept it away from his brother . . .

I don't know.

Thanks.

We, too, have a big picture guy. Multi-step problems like division or algebra are confusing to him. He gets lost in the process. But, like your son, mental math his own way works for him. Interestingly, our son now works in a career field that uses trig. He's never taken trig formally, but is learning and using it in the field. As he continues to mature, I truly believe that the concepts will become clearer as this is what happened for my husband.

I know your son needs to learn math, but I would caution you to not try to fit a square peg in a round hole. Most likely the way he views the world and math are different than the standard. Also, please consider whether his brain has developed yet to the point where the abstractness of algebra can be conquered.

Our son learns so differently than the "norm", yet he is extremely intelligent. He would often struggle with feeling stupid. I told him that he is different. Different isn't bad, it's just different.

Your son may not be like ours, I just wanted to share in case he is. It is extremely frustrating to be forced into a mold that makes no sense to you. Focus on his strengths, encourage him to develop those skills in which he is strong, praise him for his accomplishments, minimize the difficulties.

Cindy

He wouldn't touch it. His brother, who is two years younger, beat him at it regularly. The program immediately lost all attraction for him. KWIM?

Hey! Your ds was at least competing against another person. My ds couldn't stand it because he couldn't continually beat HIMSELF!

Thank you for your insights re Key to . . . books and LOF. We didn't have a practice problem with LOF Algebra because I got the Home Companion volume. Besides, because he enjoyed the text, he did more problems using LOF than he ever completed in his regular Algebra textbook.

Wonder if FlashMaster or something similar would be any different than QMM? Maybe if I kept it away from his brother . . .

I don't know.

Thanks.

I don't know anything about FlashMaster.

One other thing that helped my ds was a cognitive skills program that had some very challenging ways of practicing math facts. You might try a few of the ideas for your ds. Write up several columns of single digit numbers, 10-15 numbers in a column. Make him add the numbers in two different columns to the beat of a metronome. Then multiply two different numbers. The metronome is a killer, you might want to start without it. It can be made even more difficult. Or add two numbers in a long column of #'s and add the third number to the total and do it to the beat of a metronome. Repeat. Then advance to subtraction (using absolute numbers) and multiplication.

Getting him to 'learn' his basic facts (immediate recall) may be a battle that is not worth fighting...

I've had a few students like your son (one is/was my oldest dd!). It is NOT an impossible task--but I feel/share your frustration!

I totally agree with you about NOT letting him use a calculator at this point. I WOULD let him use a multiplication chart. Since he likes to do problems 'in his head' he may actually LEARN his facts/associations better if he does not think you are drilling him. Adding and subtracting--he has fingers--enough said.

I WOULD make him show ALL of his work--step by step in an ORGANIZED manner. Algebra is NOT about getting the correct answer--it is about HOW you go about getting the correct answer. The vast majority of Algebra problems use 'clean' numbers--the problems are easy to self-check in your head (or reason out in your head like your son is doing). If your son is able to find the

You may also consider outsourcing math for a period of time--or at least finding a tutor that will encourage him (sometimes they will tune out parents/teachers--but will listen to a tutor who basically says the same thing!).

Your son is a 'young' math student. It takes maturity to learn Algebra and higher maths--not just the ability to understand the concepts--since math is pretty logical--all you can do is add, subtract, multiply and divide and he has BTDT--it will take maturity for him to begin to show his work and fully understand the process.