Menu

Will you please look at my layout for Grade 6 & 8

rockala

:001_smile:We didn't discover Easy grammar big book until last year and although dd did many years of other grammar programs (lots of BJU)- this just really seems to be putting it all together for her. I know we have some holes and our weakest area I think is foreign language/latin. We try every year and it always seems to get put on the back burner. My dd loves studying Hebrew so maybe this will work. We may do Spanish at our local co-op as well.

DD, Grade 8

Language Arts

Easy Grammar big purple 5/6-we need to finish it

Worldly Wise, Book 8/

Mega words- not sure which book yet:confused:

Spelling Power

Institute for Excellence in Writing

Vocabulary Cartoons

Math

Life of Fred Algebra/ finish Math U See pre-A

Orbiting With Logic

Key to Geometry

Key to Metric measurement

Key to Measurment

History

Story of the World Middle Ages

Famous Men of the Middle Ages

many living history books on middle ages from 600-1600

LBC curricula for MA-co-op setting

Geography

Geography matters/ World geography

Maps of the World

Geography games

mapping out to scale individual European countries

Science

Still trying to decide-kids want Apologia Physical Science:confused:

some tell me I should do General-

Along Came Galileo

Misc

Young Person’s Guide to Philosophy

Shakespeare's Plays

Greek and latin Roots

Avko Keyboarding

First Hebrew Primer

DS, Grade 6

Easy Grammar big book 5/6

Worldly Wise, Book 6

Mega words-just starting maybe book 1?

Sequential Spelling

Institute for Excellence in Writing

Vocabulary Cartoons

Math

Life of Fred Percents and Decimals

Key To/Metrics/Measurement and Geometry

Orbiting With Logic

History

Story of the World/Middle Ages

Famous Men of the Middle Ages

Various living history books on middle ages from 600-1600.

LBC curricla for MA-co-op setting

Geography

geography matters/ World geography

Maps of the World

Geography games

mapping out various European countries to scale

Science

Apologia Physical Science or General-not sure which yet

Along Came Galileo

Misc

AVKO KEYBOARDING

Shakespeares plays

greek and Latin Roots

rummy roots

PHILOSOPHY

Thanks for looking. Any advice apprecaited.

Kathy

"Apologia Physical Science or General-not sure which yet"

For the 6th grader I would do General Science, then Physical next year. For the 8th grader I would do Physical. If you can only do one for both -I would probably to the PS so the 8th is not behind. I personally thought the GS was way more interesting and fun.

IMPO the Key to math books do not have any review of ALL the concepts (like when working in fractions you have no review of long division ect.) I would use Saxon or TT.

Hope this helps!

You're 6th & 8th grader:

1. I'd include reading literature beyond reading for history~poetry, short story and at least six longer works for the year. The basics of literary analysis can be covered as well as writing about literature. An open ended theme can be used for the entire year or you can buy literature curricula already set up. Your eighth grader should be moving onto some challenging reading and doing a fair amount of analysis.

The below web site may give you some ideas.

http://web000.greece.k12.ny.us/instruction/ela/6-12/Essential%20Questions/Index.htm

On this page if you go to ELA writing exemplars it may give you an idea of what others expect of students at a particular grade level.

http://web000.greece.k12.ny.us/instruction/ela/6-12/Rubrics/Index.htm

2. For math I'd be sure your student is working at grade level. From my experience, it is in middle school that students loose ground and potential set themselves behind for high school math. By the end of sixth grade a student should be firmly grounded in basic math and read to tackle pre-algebra in seventh grade. In CA all students should complete algebra by the end of eighth grade.

3. I'd go for the life science (6), earth science(7) and physical science(8) sequence. For sixth grade, life science is important because of the health unit incorporated in most texts.

4. P.E.??? or outside activities??

I hope this helps,

Wildiris

I really appreciate it. You have both given me much to think about.

:001_smile:

English;

I hadn't thought of literary anyalsis and admittidely do not know much about it. I will look into these links. I may need to go with a easy program to work with as I work part-time as well. Do you think ABEka is good for this?

Math; I agree I am unsure, especially for 6th. My dd did Horizons thru 6th grade and then we tried MUS last year. I wondered if I should have son go thru Horizons. He did three programas last year- MUS Espilon along with Key to Decimals and Key to Percents. I do have Singapore 6A I could add in along with Life of Fred fractions- or I could go with Horizons math and skip some of the others.

Science; I wonder if we could actually do both-ds in 6th LOVES science and wants so badly to do physical. I agree the health units of General would be good for us. A lot of the others they have covered as they did the 3rd edition BJ science the last few years.

PE;etc

Kids are maybe a little overdone here. They both compete/are on teams in swimming and karate and son in gymnastics. Addtionally, they take weekly piano and art lessons and son does boy scouts.

Thanks again for taking the time and helping me thru this. I feel more and more overwhelmed now that dd gets older. the pressure from outside is mounting- we are college bound so I don't want to mess up. Thank you!

Kathy

I am going to print off your post to show my 6th grade daughter! It is so close to the schedule we came up:) So, I'm partial, I think your schedule is GREAT!

So you have another reference:

Language Arts:

Spelling Workout G & H

R & S 6

Italian (taking a break from Latin)

Finish reading all the known works of Shakespeare

Math:

Life of Fred Fractions (review)

Life of Fred Percents

A geometry book from a local teaching store (she enjoys geometry).

Logic - undecided (but will look into your resources)

History:

SOTW 2 Middle Ages

FMot Middle Ages

Timelining

Writing (using TOG resources)

Geography:

Two rigorous workbooks purchased at a teaching store (dd is already challenging us by asking what animals live at 90 degrees S, and what country is at such and such long/lat - it's fun to see it all "unlock")

Science:

Apologia General

Newton at the Center (Joy Hakim - also correlates with SOTW 2)

Extracurriculars:

Art class

Piano

Activity Days (youth group for girls)

Drama Group

I guess we do have soem things in common. I will check out FMOT middle ages and Newton at the Center- I have not heard of them.

Orbitting with Logic is a workbook from dandylion. I have tried to like other programs, but my kids keep coming back to these. Each book takes you through different logics and they make sense:tongue_smilie:.

Kathy

My boys are in 8th and 6th and this is what they are doing..does it look ok?

8th

TT Algebra I (finishing last 30 lessons we didn't quite finish last year)

Chalkdust Geometry

Apologia Biology (labs at co-op) (He has already done GS and PS)

Latin Road to English Grammar

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Alic 2.o Introductory Concepts and techniques (computer programming course)

TOG redesigned year 2 dialectic level for hist., lit., writing, church hist, art

Piano lessons

Runs sound/computer for me during children's choir and sometimes during worship service

Flag Football??? and/or tennis lessons

6th grader

Vision Therapy

TT Math 7 along with Keys to Decimals and Fractions if needed

Zoology 1 at co-op Zoo 3 at home (already did Zoo 1 at home but I didn't really do the experiments.)

Latin Road to English Grammar

Rosetta Stone

TOG red. year 2 dialectic level for history, lit, writing, church and art hist

Piano lessons

Children's Choir

Music class at co-op

President's class at co-op

Flag Football??? and/or tennis lessons

We have been doing copywork once a week and dictation once a week. Both have the same passages. I have editor and chief and they went through one of those computer programs in a month. I have the next two levels, so occasionally I will have them work on that. I mainly do grammar through writing and they both test in the 90's for that on their standardized tests. ( I still don't understand how 6th grader can get 99 percentile on spelling on standardized test and misspell friend on a paper!!!) I've wondered if I should do vocabulary, but we do vocabulary in TOG. Does it look ok? Oldest is math/science whiz who adores computers. Younger boy awful at math (tests ok, though in 70's but everything else is in the 90's) but LOVES to read and a good writer. But HATES written work and needs a good butt kicking to get anything done!!

Christine

Christine