Menu

Is it time to ditch CLE LA for 7th and 6th grade boys?

speedmom4

Hello!

We have been using CLE for LA for several years. I'm noticing less and less retention. On quizzes and tests they aren't doing too well. It seems they just aren't retaining what they are doing in the regular lessons. I go over each lesson with them and am available for any questions. I go over each and every question and we correct as they work each lesson. I'm beginning to think about completely scrapping CLE LA or modifying it somehow so they retain more of the content.

Has anyone else run into this type of issue specifically with CLE? I really like CLE in general. We are also using it for Math and they are doing very well with it. I like the spiral approach since it keeps them practicing concepts previously taught. I don't know what it is about LA that isn't sticking. The boys are currently doing AAS for spelling and taking an outside Write Shop class for writing. They are specifically having problems with grammar and mechanics.

Anyone have recommendations? Keep CLE and modify or scrap it altogether? What LA would you recommend?

Thanks!

Elise in NC

My son had terrible retention with CLE LA. I switched him to Hake and it made a world of difference for him. Lots more practice and review and things are explained so much more clearly, IMO.

I'm glad to hear my boys aren't the only ones. I'm off to check out Hake now. Thanks so much!

Elise in NC

AG=Analytical Grammar??

Elise in NC

Yes, sorry.  I really liked the idea of it being planned out and that we could do it in 2 years and then just move on to using it in writing.  I didn't realize quite how tough it was until we got started.  It challenges me and has sent me to the teacher's book a couple of times.  DD11 went to public school through 5th, and we just started homeschooling this year.  Needless to say, her grammar was practically non-existent.  Kids with more exposure may not have quite as hard of a time.  I've had to budget in a little extra time for her, but the improvement is exciting.

Yes, sorry. I really liked the idea of it being planned out and that we could do it in 2 years and then just move on to using it in writing. I didn't realize quite how tough it was until we got started. It challenges me and has sent me to the teacher's book a couple of times. DD11 went to public school through 5th, and we just started homeschooling this year. Needless to say, her grammar was practically non-existent. Kids with more exposure may not have quite as hard of a time. I've had to budget in a little extra time for her, but the improvement is exciting.

Thanks for clearing that up!

So glad to hear how well your dd is responding. I will definitely be checking it out!

Elise in NC