Menu

Life of Fred or Key to Algebra for 7th grade supplement?

Erica in PA

My 7th grade son is using Rod and Staff math 8 this year, and will start Algebra 1 next year (not sure which program yet). I am looking for a supplement that will serve as pre-algebra to alongside Rod and Staff, since that program won't provide much of that. I have narrowed my choices down to LOF Decimals and Percents (which the author recommends for pre-algebra, or the first few books of Key to Algebra. I think ds would *like* LOF very much because of the style of humor, but I'm more comfortable with the simple, straightforward approach of the Key to... books.

Which do you think would make a better supplement to go with Rod and Staff?

Erica

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not experienced with R&S math and haven't used Life of Fred, but I have had my oldest use the Key to Algebra as a supplement and that's worked very well. He went through most of the workbooks while he was finishing Lial's Basic College Math. Using those workbooks was a great head start before moving on to Lial's Introductory Algebra. He's completed the first few chapters of the Lial's algebra text now and as he begins 8th grade, I'm going to have him use the rest (three, I think) of the Key to Algebra workbooks, too. This is the same path I plan to take with my second son.