Menu

My Elf on the Shelf alternative-book recs needed!

We do not do the whole Santa thing in our house, and likewise, the whole Elf on a Shelf craze would not work. Regardless, I am not a fan of the whole 'eyes are watching you so adjust your behavior accordingly' idea.

That being said, at least part of the premise of EOTS sounds like a lot of fun! So I have decided to create our own version, combined with the idea of a book tree, to count down the days to the holiday, and to inject a bit of educational holiday fun into the month.

My dd is a bit of a geography/culture nut so that will be the stepping point. I have purchased a stuffed bear that is attired in world traveling gear, and am planning on sending the bear to a different country everyday in December. I will still let her hunt for the bear around the house in the morning: Each day I will have his passport stamped with a different country, give him that countrie's flag, and any other particular trinkets I can come up with to fit the country of the day.

The holiday aspect will come from the book tree...you know the kind, where a stack of books is wrapped up prettily, arranged in the shape of a 'tree' and one is unwrapped and read each evening? I want to coordinate each book (or couple of books for the day) with the country of the day, including non-fiction info for the country and specific holiday stories for that country. It would be lovely to have popular seasonal books from different countries, whether or not they celebrate Xmas, similar, or just a holiday in December.

So any help from the Hive? What are your favorite books on Xmas traditions and the like around the world? Any and all thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated as I am only going to have about six weeks to pull it all off!

Oops. For Australian book recommendation you should be able to get Wombat Divine for Australia. Also there is a 12 days of Christmas Australian book. I also recommend the YouTube songs Six White Boomers by Rolf Harris (I think) and Australian Jingle Bells by Bucko and Chaps?

Here are some we have enjoyed:

England

The Christmas Kitten by James Herriot  (a bit slow but sweet)

Jolly Christmas Postman  by Allan Ahlberg

Father Christmas by Raymond Briggs

Ethiopia

Fire on the Mountain Jamie Kurtz (not specifically a "Christmas" book)

France

Madeline's Christmas by Ludwig Bemelmans

The Family Under the Bridge by Natalie Carlson (this is a chapter book, 120 pages-ish)

Italy

Legend of Old Befana  by Tomie de Paola

Sweden

Annika's Secret Wish  by Beverly Lewis

Christmas in Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren

Mexico

Night of Las Posadas by Tomie de Paola

The Legend of the Poinsettia  By Tomie de Paola

Scandinavian Countries

Just about anything by Jan Brett

Ukraine

A Christmas Spider's Miracle  by Trinka Hakes Noble