Menu

Merit Aid for Part-Time Students?

BlsdMama

DD was thinking of taking a gap year, but my (current) understanding is that she can take NO credits during that year.  She had planned on continuing foreign language courses at a local U and a Lit. course.    However, it looks like that won't work.

So my question becomes:  What happens to scholarship $$ (merit and financial) if a student decides to go only part time?  And what does that look like then when she wants to go full time the next year? 

The next question:  Could her opportunities for financial $$ actually IMPROVE due to having a college transcript at that time?

Currently she has no outside grades other than she is taking Russian at the CC.

Have you considered delaying her high school graduation so she can attend community college and take the courses as dual enrollment?   Homeschooling does give you that flexibility.

That's on the table.

But we wonder what that would look like to a college?  A child who is academically successful delays graduation?  Why would someone do that?  Wouldn't an admissions officer wonder that?  Would saying that she wanted longer to concentrate on music (true) and go to Europe before starting actually be considered a viable reason? 

I think her reasons are valid, but I have no idea how colleges would look at it.  You might want to call some admissions people and ask.  I have no idea how many credits she has already or what her 9th grade schedule looked like, but being that she is homeschooled, you could always consider 9th to have been an advanced 8th and then she'd have just four years of high school.   I would think that it's not that unusual for someone pursuing music to want to concentrate on that more before going to college, it's just that most in regular schools don't have that option.  Just some thoughts.  None of these thoughts are from btdt as my daughter is a senior as well.   Hopefully some who have used a gap year will give you some advice.