Menu

I'm so depressed about a friend's family...

we just got back from their dds wedding. It was lovely. And the trip was fun for our family. Thank you, who gave me suggestions about Boston. The Museum of Science was amazing.

But I am depressed. Our friend's 2 boys both have problems. I could describe them as a 22 year old college drop out with a drug/alcohol problem and an 18 year old high school graduate with a drug/alcohol problem. The 18 yo is in massage school, but has had some problems outside of massage school. Additionally, my ds, 13, was seated with him at the reception. It was a "teen" table with 8 or 10 kids. My ds reported to me today that the 18 yo got served beer after producing an id. (Isn't it 21 for beer? I'm sure the intention was for the teens to be able to talk and not get alcohol.) The 22 yo seems aimless and has misdemeanor convictions. Just a few years ago he had academic scholarships to a couple of universities.

I wish I knew what happened. I wish they could find their way. These are a couple of very intelligent young men. They are also very nice. I've known them their whole lives. Why would they let their intellectual gifts go down the drain. I also wish there was a way to know my family was immune to this.

Just a few years ago he had academic scholarships to a couple of universities.

I wish I knew what happened. I wish they could find their way. These are a couple of very intelligent young men. They are also very nice. I've known them their whole lives. Why would they let their intellectual gifts go down the drain. I also wish there was a way to know my family was immune to this.

I have learned to not make assumptions. I was one of those very intelligent kids who seemed to lose their way. I had/have ADD. Without the hyperactivity issues. Once I hit high school, everything bottomed out. I just couldn't stay focused enough to study. Addictive behavior is common with ADD. Misdemeanors and underage drinking are more 'exciting' than school work.

Now, having said that, these 2 boys may just be screwing up and their parents don't know what to say/do. They may have fallen into the wrong crowd. Whatever the cause, it is VERY sad to see a wasted life.