Menu

Dolciani Prealgebra question

HSinNH

Hello,

I know that most people on this board recommend the 1985 or 1988 editions of Dolciani Prealgebra, but I am having a hard time finding one for less than $80. However, I can find the 1981-New Edition and the 1992 editions for a lot less. Can anyone tell me if these versions are similar to the 80s versions or why they are sub-standard?

Also, are there answers in the back for the 1981 or 1992 editions?

Thank you for your help!

New Edition is an entirely different text from Prealgebra, An Accelerated Course.  I prefer the latter for formatting reasons, page quality (my 1977 New Edition is rather yellow) and topic coverage.  New Edition has far less instruction on ratios, word problems and solving equations, for example, it generally seems easier, and it contains far fewer exercises.  New Edition does contain some set theory that is lacking in Prealgebra, An Accelerated Course, which is a plus.  Answers to odds are in the back of both texts.

I would probably go with the 1992 Prealgebra, An Accelerated Course though I do not have this edition.  It's a lot closer to a modern prealgebra text in terms of topic coverage (e.g. Prentice Hall, AoPS).  Ultimately, either one might be fine; I might choose based on your student and what sort of algebra you are thinking about following it with - if you're looking for something on the simpler side, choose New Edition; if you're looking for challenge with more practice solving equations, choose the other one.

I'm amazed that the cheap copies of the mid-80s editions are gone - crazy prices (the 1987/88 starts at $55).  Follet is out of stock but that's another place to look on occasion (search by ISBN).

I have a 96 impression of copyright date 1992, 1988, 1985.  This leads me to believe there isn't a qualitative difference between the editions. In fact, I own the TE ISBN #03954360518 (copyright 1988, 1985) and the text portion seems identical. I've done this book with three different students so far and we've all been happy.  The ISBN is  0395591236. Amazon has brand new resales for about $18 shipped.  Fes.Follett has the TE for $14.80.