Menu

Help me name my "school"

Care to throw out some parameters for what you'd like?

Name in Latin, English, French, or Swahili?

Religious or secular?

Descriptive of the fact that you're homeschooling or vague enough that it could be a "real" bricks & mortar school registered with the Authorities?

We need some info. What do you like? What kind of name do you want? Serious and classical? Whimsical and cute? A combo of both?

We are Magnum Opus Classical Academy (The kids changed it to Magnum Opus Classical Historical Academy so that the acronym would be MOCHA :001_smile:)

The reason I chose Magnum Opus was a couple reasons. First, we feel like raising and teaching our kids should be our finest work. They are our magnum opus. Second, I want our kids to always do their best and finest work. Third, we love Charlotte's Web and I love the passage where she talks about her egg sack as her magnum opus. Plus, I love the movie Mr Holland's Opus. Plus, I wanted something with a Latin/classical flavor. So, voila....MOCHA!! :001_smile: Feel free to use it if you want it.

Hmmmm...:glare:..thinking, thinking..

We are a Christian family and the Bible is a big part of our reading, studying, and character-building.

We live in a small fishing village in south-west Nova Scotia, Canada.

I began homeschooling as traditional ACE and have become more CM and Classical. Some Latin would be nice, but I don't want to sound too ...(fill-in-the-blank)... since we are eclectic. :)

Can you tell I struggle with creativity, yet?! :D I am definitely "tell me what you want to know and I'll research the answer" kind of gal. :) I classify myself as a linguistic, logical, intrapersonal booklover. Homeschooling my 4 dc has stretched me since each one is SOOO different. We have linguistic, athletic, competitive ds12; sensitive, musical, interpersonal dd10; off-the-wall kinesthetic, creative, visual ds8; and ds6 who I haven't classified yet! LOL!!! (This was also my first attempt at labeling our family! How did I do? :))

Hmmmm...:glare:..thinking, thinking..

We are a Christian family and the Bible is a big part of our reading, studying, and character-building.

We live in a small fishing village in south-west Nova Scotia, Canada.

I began homeschooling as traditional ACE and have become more CM and Classical. Some Latin would be nice, but I don't want to sound too ...(fill-in-the-blank)... since we are eclectic. :)

Can you tell I struggle with creativity, yet?! :D I am definitely "tell me what you want to know and I'll research the answer" kind of gal. :) I classify myself as a linguistic, logical, intrapersonal booklover. Homeschooling my 4 dc has stretched me since each one is SOOO different. We have linguistic, athletic, competitive ds12; sensitive, musical, interpersonal dd10; off-the-wall kinesthetic, creative, visual ds8; and ds6 who I haven't classified yet! LOL!!! (This was also my first attempt at labeling our family! How did I do? :))

Soul-Fishing Academy (like fishers of men, not the fish)

Varietas Academy (varietas means variety or diversity in Latin and it sounds like your kids are very diverse in talents and personality)

When we were naming our homeschool I wanted something that reflected our Christian beliefs. I was inspired by a poster we have that includes the many names of Jesus. Since you are Christian and the Bible is a big part of your lives maybe something along those lines would work.

Some of the ones I loved were:

True Vine (maybe True Vine Classical Academy)

Morning Star (Morning Star Academy or Morning Star Classical Academy)

Dayspring (I Love this one) Dayspring Christian Academy or Dayspring Classical Academy, you get the idea.

Shiloh Classical Academy

We chose Living Water Christian Academy which I like very much.

Just some ideas to get the wheels turning! :)

I hope you find something you love. Let us know.

Our school is Beacon Academy (from Psalm 119:105 -- God's Word lights our path). Since you are from a fishing town, this could work for you -- feel free to use it.

Other ideas:

Logos Academy

Safe Harbor Academy

Phoenix Academy (a personal favorite of mine, but we have a private school with this name just down the road from us so I chose not to use it)

I like that everyone else put so much thought into theirs...

We were driving past a bunch of new housing developments and giggling about the silly names that have nothing to do with geography (Whisper Ranch? REALLY??) and DH and I started throwing ones back and forth. We realized we live two blocks from the "Orange Blossom Trail," and we like the idea of raising our girls to be a sweet fragrance to the Lord... and that blossoms are not fully developed yet. So we chose "Orange Blossom Academy."

So maybe look through the real estate section of your paper, cut out the names of new developments, cut the words apart and let your kids put them together in new and creative ways. Then your kids are participating, you are building cutting and pasting skills (ha!)

Lamplight Academy --- Psalm 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."

True Way Academy --- Psalm 119:104 "Through Thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way."

King's Academy --- Psalm 24:7-10

Sonlight Academy, Lighthouse Christian Academy Homeschool (That's our name :) We had to add the Homeschool part, because we later found another one or two Lighthouse Christian Academy schools--though I didn't find them when I researched the name! :001_huh: )