Menu

What reading level does AAR 2 go to?

I got AAR1 for my son a while ago but I wan't loving it at first. His blending was really choppy and the fluency sheets were just too frustrating. I been using a hodge podge since but I pulled out AAR again and I realize I do like something that is open and go and I can follow. I just break the fluency sheets up on the board now. I will finish AAR1 but I am not sure about getting 2 and 3 because of the cost. I will look for used copies before I need it but even used it is expensive.

What phonograms does AAR2 add? What reading level will it get you too? Will it be enough to start reading books at around the first grade level at least and start doing the multi-syllable section in reading pathways?

You can see the scope & sequence & TOC's  for all of the levels here to see what they cover. (You can also see the samples of Level 2 on there.)  Level 2 covers 3-letter blends; two-syllable words with open and closed syllables – hotel; vowel-consonant-E pattern words; VCE syllable combined with closed syllables – reptile; contractions; r-controlled words – her, car, and corn; soft c and g – face, page; past tense – hugged; vowel teams oi, oy, au, aw, ou, ow, oe, and ee; y in shy; wh in wheel; i and o can be long before two consonants (ex: ild, old,  ost) – most; silent e after u or v – have; and the third sound of a – all. It includes two and three syllable words such as pullover, outnumber, sandpaper, saucepan, and invoice, etc… 

It's not a grade-level oriented program, so you're going to have a mix of words from various grade-levels as you go through it. But, at the end of Level 4, students have the phonics and word attack skills necessary to sound out high school level words, though they may not know the meaning of all higher level words.(Word attack skills include things like dividing words into syllables, making analogies to other words, sounding out the word with the accent on different word parts, recognizing affixes, etc…)

Great adaptation to use the board for the fluency exercises. Some others that might help:

Let him highlight each line he reads, or use a sticker to mark his progress. Some kids like to see their progress in a concrete way.

Take turns reading lines with him (or let a puppet, stuffed animal, or favorite toy take turns). Many kids enjoy having a “reading buddy.â€

Use the word cards to make sentences (and you could use white index cards for any additional words you need to make). He might like to make up silly phrases or sentences for you to read too!

Mix up the exercises a bit more–do something from the next step and then just a bit of the fluency reading from the previous step. This will stretch the next step out a bit more, and give him a bit more fluency practice, without having the practice be all together in one chunk. Maybe he would like that variety more?

Use the words, phrases, and sentences to come up with a little book together that he can read.  Put one phrase or sentence on each page, and let him draw a picture, or cut and paste pictures from a magazine on each page.  My kids used to really enjoy making up little books like this.

HTH some! Merry :-)