Menu

About the baby I got to hold two weeks ago...

bettyandbob

The mother finished her exams. We got word yesterday that all her requirements were reviewed and her diploma should be coming in a week. Hopefully, I'll get to see baby again when her mother picks up the diploma.

YAY. This is when I like what I do.

I was excited and went to Barnes and Noble and spent more than $40 on children's books and gave them to my student the day she took her last exam. She liked them and humored me with my walk down memory lane looking at Barnyard Dance , Goodnight Gorilla, and others.

Buying the books was interesting. Dd (15) wanted to go to the bookstore because some book she wanted was just released. She asked who I was buying for and her response suggested I shouldn't. It was a bit of a teachable moment I guess about being judgemental, about blessing children. Dd is sometimes quite black and white and teen pregnancy is something she sees as very wrong. So, we talked a bit how the books were really for baby and it was important to give any baby a good start.

Anyway, I'm happy this mother got focused and got the work done. Some events occurred just before the last exam and the boyfriend/fiancé will not be available for at least a year. So, she's really going to have to do it all. She's got some support from her parents (help with childcare mostly) and she's got her restaurant manager job (with health ins!) so she'll make it.

Talks like that with you daughter are very important. I had a facebook friend(grown woman with a 2 year old and expecting another in Dec)  go crazy in a status update along the lines of... How the f*** can you be excited for your daughter who is having a child. She's a child herself.  If my daughter ever came home pregnant I'd kick her a**.  Encouraging her the way you are is disgusting and just going to result in another baby.

My reaction was to just unfriend her.  I doubt the mother she was referring to was happy her teen daughter got pregnant and all that come with that.  But to embrace it and support it was her decision (and I think the correct decision.)  Casting judgment on a teen mother in need is a terrible thing many in society do and unfortunately I think it makes matters worse.  With proper support I believe many teen moms would only be teen moms once as opposed to what usually happens where they just continue to have kids.  

I'm glad the girl you encountered seems to be getting her life situated so she can support her child the best she can