Menu

Any spelling / writing curriculum you'd suggest?

macmom28

Sorry for the cross-posting but I'm really in need of some help...

I am in need of some suggestions for my 5th grader for spelling and writing curriculum.  I've finally gotten it together to figure out math (MM, BA, and LoF), history (SOTW 1), grammar (MCT Town), logic (BTS, Mind Benders, Balance Benders) to use for him and all of these choices are going well.  

Now, I just need to add in spelling and writing.

- He is highly advanced in terms of language (tested well into collegiate level for language--can't remember which test it was) and is an avid reader; enjoyed studying latin roots last year and did well with it.  

- In terms of writing, he has ability to write well in terms of mechanics but feels frustrated that he can't write "well."  I think he is comparing himself to his favorite authors (Tolkien, Rowling, Engle, etc.).  He has difficulty with creative writing.  

I should add that when I work with my 7yo daughter using WWE he can't help but stop and listen in to the literature / narrations.

any ideas??   :)

Spelling Workout by Modern Curriculum Press.  DD has done every level over the years, and is now on the last one (H).

DD's test scores sound very similar to what you described.  We've done a lot of different things with writing -- First Lang Lessons, both editions -- first was great, but I think DD was too old by the time we did #2. Paragraph Town was a bore.  Then I just picked up old copies of Warriner's English Composition and Grammar, used off of Amazon or Ebay.  There's still nothing wrong with this old war horse, and yes, as an English major, I'm totally biased.  This year, we're trying Dr. B's Writing With Skill, but still using Warriner's for grammar.

We have found WWS a bit slow if we go by the day-to-day schedule as printed, so we've started doing 2-3 days in one sessions.   We shall see.

I've found it best to just get DD to mind-dump, which is what I also do when working with high school kids on their application essays.  I trot out the adage that good writing is RE-writing, although I suspect that gets through to only a fraction of my students.

Does he need spelling because he spells poorly, or because you think everyone should study spelling?  Some kids will just pick it up.  

Michael Clay Thompson LA is aimed at gifted kids.  He might be past the first level, though many parents say its such a beloved story they would rush through it and then move on to level 2.  But he does more academic than creative writing.

I'm actually loving a little creative writing unit we are using at the moment, Fantastic Fiction, but I havent really used anything else.  Also check out Nanowrimo, maybe?  Sometimes practice counts for a lot.  

I also love Bravewriter, but I've only used it with a reluctant writer

If he's a natural speller, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, Rod & Staff might be good, since it's independent. 

For writing, he might be able to do WWS or WWE4. If you're looking for creative writing, maybe The Creative Writer or Wordsmith Apprentice. You also may want to consider signing him up for NaNoWriMo, where it's not specifically about how well it's written, but that it gets done and gives the child the feeling he can write.