Menu

Himalayas/ Mt. Everest resources

Rasa

I just watched "Everest" the Imax movie on Netflix this morning with my 1st grader.  It does deal with the challenges of climbing such a high peak and a decent part of the film is about a group of hikers who die.  However it is not overly sensational and the cinamatography is beautiful!

A great 4-book fiction series called 'The contest:Everest'

By Gordon Korman

I bought the first for my nephew (4th grade) and he couldn't put it down. He immediately read the others as well.This for a kid who considers any reading akin to blunt trauma.

Apparently, it is on a list at his school for their 3rd grade-level 'exciting challenge' program. Here is the Goodreads link:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24073.The_Contest

I just watched "Everest" the Imax movie on Netflix this morning with my 1st grader.  It does deal with the challenges of climbing such a high peak and a decent part of the film is about a group of hikers who die.  However it is not overly sensational and the cinamatography is beautiful!

It was filmed during the 96 season that Jon Krakauer writes about in Into Thin Air. (Although I would NOT give that book to elementary age student.) The Imax crew did a lot to help stranded climbers that year. It's what I was going to suggest.