Menu

To blog, or not to blog... why or why not?

Yes. :)

I blog to help myself focus on the simple, beautiful, and usually little things that make life wonderful. It is a way of journaling our life without the mess of scrapbooking. I have made some incredible friends through the blog world, and we enjoy 'visiting' each other in a more personal way than on a message board. I like a fairly unscheduled life and spend a lot of time at home, so it is a wondeful way to connect and communicate with others.

I've received numerous emails from people telling me that they enjoy and are inspired by my blog in different ways, and that helps me keep going. My family out of town (particularly my grandparents) love the way my blog allows them to be part of my immediate family.

I do understand how it can be a drain on time and why others would choose not to blog, but works well for me in this season of my life.

I am not really comfortable putting everything out on the net, especially about my DD who is young and very pretty. So I would probably blog without pictures, which is pretty boring, and without names, and without a lot of the detail that makes some blogs very interesting.

I prefer pure print and a lot of self-censorship.

I have considered scrapbooking in the alternative, but haven't ever really gotten into that.

I blog about life and creativity to help focus me. Having a blog and a small readership holds me accountable in my writing. Blogging has been a satisfying outlet for me.

I really like that journal aspect of it...recording a snowfall (rare here) documenting the monarch migration, sharing what I know and have learned about the creative process with like minded people. I like looking back through the posts and reliving the moments.

Blog for a few months. If you like it, continue. If you don't, quit.

It's a fun hobby for me. When people ask me "why blog?," that's usually my answer. I don't have anywhere to garden, am not much intrigued with scrapbooking, can't draw or paint and DH wishes that I wouldn't cook. So I blog.

And I do so with a pretty good level of privacy. I don't post pictures of the kids and don't use real names (ok, obviously WTM-ers know I'm Valerie) for the family or where DH works. But I think...hope?...that it's still pretty interesting. Instead, I illustrate entries by shamelessly stealing images from Google.;)

Also, with Blogger there's a great big blue "Delete This Blog" button that you can use if you decide that it's not for you. That option was kind of a safety net for me when I tip-toed into blogging.

If you decide to get started, make sure to post your addy here and let us all come say hi!