Menu

baby clothes

SeekingSimplicity

I'm knitting a 0-3mo sweater for a friend's baby, due in Jan.  My gauge is correct, but I keep looking at it and thinking, are babies really this tiny? LOL It's been a long time since mine were babies and I it's hard to remember them being that little. 

But seriously, are babies this tiny?  The top of the neck in back, between shoulders, is 4" and where I stopped increasing at the bottom of the arm holes is 5", it will be 10" long.  Sound OK?

Mine are! My first wasn't quite 7 lbs and my others were preemies. In fact, I took pictures of Lady Bug in American Girl doll clothes! :) That said, I have three newborn onesies, one that is short and fat, one that is medium length and even wider, and one that is half the width of the second one but several inches longer. Babies come in all shapes and sizes. My rule of thumb for buying/making for other's babies is to go big: they can always grow into it.

If you mean 4 inches between "outside edges of the shoulder" -- the full width of the garment, that does sound a bit narrow, but not by much. Is it stretchy? If you mean "and then there are the caps of the sleeves" it sounds great. So many home knit baby things are just far too large and bulky. A sweater that actually fits will be a blessing.

10 inches is too long for a sweater that is meant to be worn as a just-a-top. Yours sounds like it is a bit like a smock/dress style that covers more than down to the waist?

Remember: the baby just finished sliding out of a vagina, it can't be that big!