Menu

Gluten sensitivity or something else?

Quiver0f10

I have always eaten breads, pasta, cereal etc. without an issue, but within the last year I have noticed that sometimes after I eat certain foods I have gastro issues. What I don't understand is that it's not every time I eat something with gluten. One day I can eat a bagel without a problem, the next time my stomach is cramping? I keep thinking maybe its from something else, but I have no clue. Could I have a sensitivity issue that only bothers me at certain times?

It might just be a wheat sensitivity and not gluten. 

The effects of wheat can stay in your system for several days.  We have had some physical, behavioral, sleep issues then eliminated wheat and kept other gluten grains.  Most the problems resolved themselves and only return when we eat wheat again. 

Wheat Belly is a fascinating book about the history of wheat and the effects on people with wheat sensitivity.

It could be the empty/full bucket theory, meaning that if your body is taxed for any reason (too much gluten overall or stress, fatigue, too much sugar, etc) you react more than at other times (clean diet for a week or so, able to tolerate some aggravation). Our ND told me that gluten causes inflammation in most people but some are more sensitive and react, and how severe the reaction can vary in the same person based on how stressed their overall system is at the time.