Menu

Science Fusion Confusion

sixtimemomma

Hello, 

I was hoping someone could help me. Maybe I'm slow but I don't get it.

I was considering ordering Science Fusion for my rising 1st, 3rd and 5th graders. On the HMCO site it says the interactive workbook is around $31.

I now see that the HBCO has a sale on the Science Fusion HS Kit for $90.  

Can someone tell me the difference between the kit and the book?  From the HMCO site the link for more info on the interactive workbook takes me to the same place that the kit does.

Am I missing something?  Will the textbook be all I need?

Will I need to also purchase the TE for the Kit or the standalone workbook?  

And does anyone think it's a bad investment for my 1st or 3rd grader?

HELP!

I bought the kindergarten level last year and thought that it was a total waste of time.  The material was boring and incredibly simple: if you went to the library and picked out any 5 random books from the picture book science section, you'd cover far more than the entire year of kindergarten Science Fusion.  It was really at the level of "At night, it is dark."

The website was incredibly confusing, to the point that it was practically unusable.  There were supposed to be some songs that I never even found, and not for lack of trying.  About 8 different documents arranged in ways that I could never re-find anything... and I'm not exactly technologically un-savvy.  DD thought it was boring, and I thought it was a total waste of both her time and ours.  We gave up halfway through the year.

Now, K is so much cheaper than the other levels that maybe the other levels are much better.  But their website is probably still just as awful, and I wouldn't spend money on it.