Menu

I need a few book recommendations for History!

Virg

I am putting together our history curriculum for next year and decided to go at it myself to accommodate my children's issues better. I have my 2 spines and most of my supporting books except for these topics. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have found a few things online I think might work but I can't look at them. I would love to see some tried-and-true recommendations. Thank you!

Germanic Tribes

Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

Byzantine Empire (esp. way of life)

Arab/Islamic World after the first few dynasties

Early Russia

The Crusades (factual history)

Mongols

Reformation

A Picturesque Tale of Progress covers most of those topics, but it was written in the 20s, I think, so some of the language may seem a little...off. For example, the author occasionally refers to Asians as having yellow skin or slanted eyes. There's good factual information, but I plan to use it as a read-aloud/discussion resource rather than just handing DD the book to read. It's also a little more in-depth than I have time for. From the description of the relevant volumes:

New Nations I covers the Fall of the Roman Empire, and then turns to the Byzantine Empire, the Medieval Church, the Vikings, and the Feudal Age. New Nations II reveals the glory of the Byzantine Empire, the Crusades and their effects, Spain and the Moors, the development of England, of France as a monarchy, of Germany and the Holy Roman Empire, and of Italy and the Renaissance. Explorations I covers Marco Polo, Genghis Khan, the conquests of the Mongols, and Africa and India. 

Terry Jones Barbarians DVD does a good job of introducing some of the Germanic tribes (and Celts) and gives an introduction into the fall of the Roman Empire. He's also done one on the ancient world (Egypt and Rome), the Crusades, and Medieval lives.

In what age/grade level would you be interested in these suggestions?

Here are a few suggestions:

These would be for upper elementary and middle school: 

Arabs in the Golden Age by Mokhtar Moktefi
Saladin by Diane Stanley
Crusades (Landmark) by West
Genghis Khan and the Mongols (Landmark) by Horde

These would be for high school: (although I have used and recommend that some selections could be used with upper middle school students):

The Portable Medieval Reader
The Portable Renaissance Reader
Agricola and Germania by Tacitus

Also, the Middle Grades Board and the High School Board might have more suggestions too.