Menu

Saxon Has Made This Momma Cry...

PachiSusan

It's cheap enough to find out by getting a 2nd edition online, then re-selling the reject(s).  Is the issue the level?  DD has consistently been ahead by one book compared to grade level. (algebra 1 this year for 7th).

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/493887-saxon-math-with-a-10yr-old-boy/

This explains our troubles we've been having with Saxon.

May I hijack this post and ask HOW do you know if you need to change?  I am thinking of maybe trying out Saxon for my oldest (5th grade).  SHE HATES MATH.

I know it's a Saxon thread but I had to reply. I'm not a huge "switcher" of curriculum. But I finally had enough with Horizons math 3 weeks ago. DD HATED math and doing it was torture, she cried every single day. I ran out and got Teaching Textbooks for her and she loves it. I'm sl glad we switched. SO if you think you need something else, go for it.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/493887-saxon-math-with-a-10yr-old-boy/

This explains our troubles we've been having with Saxon.

I agree with the second post on that other thread -- could be bored.  Is there a pattern to the mistakes?  For instance, DD is a fast math brain, but sometimes it goes so fast she forgets to carry a 1 or something and if it's in step three of six, the whole problem falls apart.  For us, it's been a constant thing to reinforce being careful, not fast.

I regularly have SAT kids like that too -- Calc B/C studs who have to learn to slow down and do some problems simply.

Not knowing Horizons, I can't speculate about the differences, but I'd put both in front of him and ask why HE thinks there is a difference.  It might be something totally different.