Menu

Math U See Primer Anyone?

displace

I was wondering how quickly you are going through (or went through) MUS Primer with your K5?  We are doing 4 pages (2 sheets front and back) right now.  I'm wondering if we should go faster or slower.  I'm not certain if there's a "goal" speed to accomplish, if the book should last all K year or if most progress to the next book or switch to another program before the end of K year.  DS seems to be doing the work fairly easily and we could probably speed up because of that.  OTOH, he doesn't seem to really like "doing school" so I don't want to push anything.  It takes him maybe 10 min to do those 4 pages, FWIW.

I don't use MUS Primer so I don't know what is or isn't covered in those sections you are working on, but I would just continue to spend 10-15 minutes on written math work a day and if we finish the book early then fine. If we finish the book on time that is fine. If we finish the book a little late. That is fine.

So long as the skills required for whatever first grade program you are looking at are met. So long as he gets introduced to the idea of place value, gets comfortable with the idea of counting forwards and backwards, counting on, adding and subtracting (even if he doesn't begin to memorize the facts), skip counting, etc...

I think it sounds like you guys are doing just fine. I suspect that most kids will start out speedily in such basic math programs and then slow down when they come to parts that cover topics that they haven't experienced so blatantly and so often in their everyday life.

The stated pupose of MUS Primer is to develop confidence in the area of Math.  I think a couple pages at a time for 10 minutes is great.  There is nothing in Primer that is not covered again in Alpha, so whether you finish the whole book is just up to you.

Good attitude toward school and confidence with numbers is way more important than completing a schedule at this level. (I need that reminder too!)