Menu

Spelling power...

super grover

We use Spelling power for both DS8 and DS6 and like the idea of it but I am trying to make it more managable. Any ideas?

My thought was to do:

Mon -- pretest

Tue -- tracing words in ??

Wed -- writing sentences

Thur -- ???

Friday final test

There are lots of holes I know! My kids need that tactile feeling but what do you use? I would like something that is not messy nor smelly (shaving cream), and that is reuseable -- like sand except then I will have sand all over tartation! We have used pudding but again I will not be able to devote such time this year. Also, my DS6 is definately independent workbook type learner so I may just make up pages -- anybody else been down this road?

thanks WTMers

We enjoy the simplicity of Spelling Power. We do the pretest, activities and post test all in one day in about 15 minutes each day. I spent about an hour or two putting the suggested activities on note cards. So, when dds miss a spelling word, they do the process recommended (writing the word in the air, closing their eyes, spelling it aloud, checking their work), I pull out an activity from the note card box and then they write the sentences.

One of the benefits of this program is that you can and do mix it up based on the 100 plus suggested activities.

Julie in Monterey

My kids need that tactile feeling but what do you use? I would like something that is not messy nor smelly (shaving cream), and that is reuseable --

My ds has a piece of sandpaper to trace on. Granted, he can't see what he just wrote, but it seems to work well for us. HTH!

I've never started Spelling Power until my children were in 3rd grade and very grounded in the phonics rules, But when we start it our schedule is like this:

We do it 2 x a week;

T- test, misspelled words, sentences, task card for rule

TH- retest misspelled words and next test, etc..

kim