Menu

favorite recipe/meal organizing site

I saw Heather asking for meal ideas and I always feel like I'm in the same rut. 3:30 arrives and I have no idea what we're having for supper. I'm tired of the same old thing, but so many of my cookbooks just aren't simple enough. I want basic ideas plus some good simple recipes. I really like the hillbilly housewife, but most of the things I've tried there my family doesn't like. Does anyone know of a site like this with recipes they like better?

I can't even seem to do a stir fry without overdoing things, and I can't do a simple gravy, so basics would be great.

Alison in KY

It's not a site but have you tried the Saving Dinner series. It breaks it down fairly well.

:grouphug: to you. I know it can be tough on a person when supper is late and not well received. I hope you find something that works.

this one is from Rachael Ray --

CHICKEN OR TURKEY SPANAKOPITA BURGERS WITH YOGURT SAUCE

1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling

1 TBSP butter

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1/2 chopped red onion

10 ozs frozen spinach, defrosted

1 tsp dried oregano, lightly crushed in the palm

1/4 lb feta cheese crumbles

1.3 lb ground chicken or ground turkey breast

1 tablespoon grill seasoning (Montreal Salt-free Steak Seasoning by McCormick)

YOGURT SAUCE:

1 small container good quality plain yogurt

1 3-inch piece of cucumber, peeled, trimmed, chopped

1 crushed clove garlic

1 tsp dried oregano

1 squirt lemon juice

salt and pepper

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. To one side, add a little extra-virgin olive oil and 1 TBSP of butter. When butter melts, add the chopped garlic and chopped red onion and cook 5 minutes. Transfer the onions and garlic to a bowl to cool. Return pan to heat.

Wring the defrosted spinach dry by twisting it in a clean kitchen towel over your sink. Separate the spinach while adding it to the bowl with cooled onions, garlic, and season with 1 tsp of oregano. Add in feta crumbles, then chicken or turkey, grill seasoning, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Mix and form into 4 to 6 patties, 1-inch thick. Raise heat on pan to medium-high. Add patties and cook until done, about 6 minutes on each side.

Place yogurt, chopped cucumber, 1 crushed clove of garlic, 1 tsp oregano, and lemon juice in a food processor. Add a little salt and process the sauce until smooth. Transfer to a small dish and serve with the patties. You can also serve the patties on a bun as burgers topped with lettuce, tomato, and sliced cucumber with the sauce.

FARFALLE WITH RICOTTA

12 oz farfalle (bowtie pasta)

4 TBSP butter

zest of 1 lemon

2 tsp minced garlic

juice of 1/2 lemon

1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped

1 cup ricotta cheese

freshly grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta in salted water.

Melt butter over low flame. Add lemon zest and minced garlic (this flavors the butter, without possibility of burning the garlic).

When pasta has 1 minute cooking time left, add a splash of cream to butter (optional). Add lemon juice and a little salt.

Drain pasta. Place in serving bowl. Toss with cream sauce. Add basil. Dot with ricotta cheese and toss. (May need to add a little reserved pasta cooking water to thin out a bit). Add pepper and parmesan cheese.

(This dish truly takes 12 minutes from start to finish - whatever time it takes to cook the pasta. We have been enjoying this with basil from our garden.)