Menu

Help finding a program or coming up with scope and sequence

How about using Science Matters by Hazen & Trefil as a spine/Scope & Sequence, and then getting books from the library to fill in the details?  Or even better, the combo of Science Matters & Dawkins The Magic of Reality.  I think a kid with a good grasp of the basic concepts discussed in those two books would be more than ready to tackle high school science.

Or, if you wanted something more self-contained, you could get Trefil & Hazen's The Sciences: An Integrated Approach, and do selected chapters.  It's got all the textbook bells & whistles, end of chapter questions and whatnot.  It's an intro college text for non-science majors, and like it sounds, it covers the sciences in an integrated way.  I think it's nicely done.

How about using Science Matters by Hazen & Trefil as a spine/Scope & Sequence, and then getting books from the library to fill in the details?  Or even better, the combo of Science Matters & Dawkins The Magic of Reality.  I think a kid with a good grasp of the basic concepts discussed in those two books would be more than ready to tackle high school science.

Or, if you wanted something more self-contained, you could get Trefil & Hazen's The Sciences: An Integrated Approach, and do selected chapters.  It's got all the textbook bells & whistles, end of chapter questions and whatnot.  It's an intro college text for non-science majors, and like it sounds, it covers the sciences in an integrated way.  I think it's nicely done.

I agree, although The Magic of Reality might be too young for an 8th grader. There's also Conceptual Integrated Science by Hewitt (he of Conceptual Physics fame) et. al. Used practice workbooks are available cheap if you need them. (ETA: posted at the same time as regentrude)

If you can find them on sale/ discount/ used/ library, Hazen's The Joy of Science lectures are supposed to be good too.