Menu

Abeka Consumer Math

I am interested in using the Abeka Consumer Math this year with my son (11th grade). He struggles greatly with math!!  My question is, do you recommend the DVD program with it?  I will not have a lot of time to do this course with him, so I am wondering if the DVDs would be needed?  I just hate that they are so old! I have also looked at MUS stewardship and BJU consumer math, but I think the Abeka looks the best...  The BJU looks like it might be a little hard, and the MUS looks a little easy :).  Also, if anyone knows, how much time each day is needed for the Abeka program?  Any advice?

Hmm...now I am having second thoughts.  I actually am liking the MUS stewardship better now :/  He is going to be continuing his regular math with consumer math as more of an elective.  I am really more interested in him being familiar with the terms, and also how to do the hands on part of his checkbook, making good biblical choices with money, etc.  So maybe the MUS with Dave Ramsey's Personal Financing would be a better fit, especially since math his so difficult for him and he will be doing his regular math at the same time.  Thoughts?

I am going to answer the abeka consumer math part of you question because we have used it but not with the Dvds. It does a great job of teaching students how to figure out how much an object is actually costing them. We no longer have the text but it was great at breaking financial decisions down to the math. It also did a good job regarding the stewardship portion of your question. It was a good text but I would not do it alongside another math book for a student who doesn't love math. Lots of math problems. If a copy comes your way cheap grab it and supplement with it but I think your other ideas sound more interesting for the student you described.

Imo easy and clearly understood might be best!! :)