Menu

Anyone have a daily schedule to share for the Writing Road to Reading?

Just wondering if anyone has made their own schedule for this program or has found one they like and would like to share. I'd like one that says what to do and what page number to go to for each day. I dont care what grade or level you have, I can adapt it to my needs. Thanks!

That would be way too much like work for teaching Spalding. :-) It just isn't necessary to have that much detail.

Each day you drill the phonograms already taught, by dictation (you dictate the phonograms, the dc write them) and by "flashing" the phonogram cards (you hold up the card, the dc say the sounds). You teach new phonograms if necessary. If you're doing the spelling words, you teach 5-10 a day (depending on how old your dc are), reviewing words taught the day before.

That's pretty much it. There's no way to schedule page numbers and whatnot. :-)

That would be way too much like work for teaching Spalding. :-) It just isn't necessary to have that much detail.

Each day you drill the phonograms already taught, by dictation (you dictate the phonograms, the dc write them) and by "flashing" the phonogram cards (you hold up the card, the dc say the sounds). You teach new phonograms if necessary. If you're doing the spelling words, you teach 5-10 a day (depending on how old your dc are), reviewing words taught the day before.

That's pretty much it. There's no way to schedule page numbers and whatnot. :-)

I've got the phonogram part down, but I'd like to also use the writing and grammar part, but find myself not sure what to do without re-reading over the whole book pretty much. I'd like somone's daily list of things to do that is pretty meaty. Something that covers all Language Art areas, what to do and how long to do it. I could sit down and schedule I suppose, just sounds like too much work! I only know that it won't get done the right way or at all if I simply pull the book off the shelf and open it randomly after drilling the phonogram cards. I like the script, but dont know when to use what when. Maybe someone has a schedule from when they used it and what they accomplished each day? Here's an example of what I'd want it to look like...

Day 1

Drill 70 phonogram orally, student writes them 15 min

Began cursive letter o and a, 10 min

Grammar- Action verbs pg 99 linking verbs pg 99-100, 20 min

Writing lesson prewriting pg 109

Spelling began section R, words catch-chalk, marked sounds, used in sentences orally, went over rules used in words

Reading- went over expressive reading pg 131, child read aloud Rabbit Hill for 20 min, discussed story, title, author

A schedule like this could take a lot of my time if I made it myself, but hey, maybe that's what I need to do...

You're sort of over-thinking it. :-) Most of us don't feel the need to be that specific on how much time is spent on each little increment.

The manual is, well, your manual. Of course you will open it daily to what you need to do next. That isn't "random." :-)

Take the manual (WRTR, not the teacher guide, right?) to Kinko's/FedEx; have the spine cut off, and the book drilled for three holes. Put it in a three-ring notebook. Put dividers in the front of each section (spelling, reading, grammar, writing, etc.). Bookmark where you stop in each section, and the next day, pick up from there.

In our house, we would do the spelling lesson first, because that would take the most brain power, lol. I'd probably schedule that for an hour. The writing lesson would be, oh, half an hour, and the grammar lesson about the same. But Spalding is supposed to be flexible, so that each teacher adjusts how much time is spent according to how her own students are doing.