Menu

CLE math vs. Singapore?

Meadowlark

Hi,

I am using Singapore 1a/b with my 1st grader and Essentials with my Kindergartener. We used Earlybird last year for K. I've recently been looking at CLE's math, and it is definitely more my teaching style than Singapore. We use HOD's activities, but if I'm being honest, I feel like a workbook from the Dollar Tree would be equally as effective. Could it be that I am not yet seeing the beauty of Singapore because it's K and 1st? I'm NOT mathy at all, so math concerns me. Our math lessons are usually 10-12 minutes long and although I don't expect them to be that much longer,I sometimes feel that Singapore is not enough.

I like the layout of CLE, but have heard great things about Singapore/mental math/visual etc. thatmImeant to give it a fair shot. I'm just curious what others with more experience have to say about these two programs and the pros and negs of each. Thanks!

Singapore is plenty enough. If you don't like it, or your child doesn't, that's one thing, but Singapore is a very solid program, and unlike dollar store workbooks, it is very heavy on mental math, not memorization, but problem solving mentally. I at times get frustrated with Singapore because I did not learn that way, but my son is thriving with the program, I wish I had been taught that way, and to top it off, my math skills have improved since he has done 1a/1b & 2a, he's now working through 2b. There are times I'm tempted to switch, but he is excelling. 

If your wanting to switch though, I think CLE is a great option!

We too tried Singapore because it is so highly regarded.  I wanted it to work, but it did not for us.  It clearly is a good program with lots of challenge.

However, I found the challenge of implementing it too much for us.  We switched to CLE, and have been using CLE for 2 years.  CLE works great for our family.

We also read Life of Fred, and have found the combination to be easy to implement and challenging enough for our boys.

We too tried Singapore because it is so highly regarded. I wanted it to work, but it did not for us. It clearly is a good program with lots of challenge.

However, I found the challenge of implementing it too much for us. We switched to CLE, and have been using CLE for 2 years. CLE works great for our family.

We also read Life of Fred, and have found the combination to be easy to implement and challenging enough for our boys.

Would you mind sharing why you like CLE better? I've looked at 1st grade samples, but can't find any 2nd grade samples anywhere. It looks very orderly to me, which I like, but it also looks a little all over the place. Is there too much jumping around from one concept to the next? Do the kids somewhat master the lesson? I know it's spiral but I also don't want it to be TOO spiral, jumping all over the place. I like the philosophy of Singapore, and really want my kids to have strong math skills. I just don't know if I should stick it out with Singapore 1a/b in hopes it gets better? thus far, I'm not impressed but we are only in week 2.

We too tried Singapore because it is so highly regarded.  I wanted it to work, but it did not for us.  It clearly is a good program with lots of challenge.

Same here.  I just finally had to accept that it wasn't a good fit for my DD.  I switched her to Horizon's Math several months ago and haven't regretted it once.  She is begging to do math everyday and is doing really well.

Susie

DD(8)

I haven't seen HOD's activities, but I do wonder if they are really teaching the Singapore method. The

Singapore workbooks themselves are nothing special. The HIGs and textbooks add in the method.

CLE is a good program too. It's traditional math instruction. I prefer Singapore for my kids, but some kids do better with CLE.

Samples for all grades of CLE math can be found here:

http://www.clp.org/store/by_subject/4

Click on grade 2, and you can sample each light unit.

Ok. I'm starting to figure this all out. I'm beginning to think Singapore might work IF I can figure out what else I need to buy to get a feel for the method. Can anyone tell me what would be best...the textbooks, HIG's or teacher guides? I'm pretty confused. I do plan to keep using HOD's activities, but want the opportunity to add activities if I need to, and also read up on the why's and how's of the Singapore method. What do you all use on a daily basis, or what do you find most helpful?

I think HOD uses the US edition, right? For now, I'd get the US edition HIG and textbook. That's all you need. For later grades, you may want to switch to Standards Edition for the better HIG. I think the first grade is similar between the two editions, but grades 2-5, Standards is supposedly better (though if the US edition is enough for you, it's still a good version of the program).

Daily, I use the HIG, textbook, and workbook. I teach the lesson from the HIG, then go over the textbook problems orally, then set the child free on the workbook problems.

You don't want the "Teacher Guides" - those are for classroom use. The "Home Instructor Guides" are for homeschool, and they are significantly cheaper!