Menu

My Siggy looks insane-am I???

happyWImom

I have gone through all of my stuff for next year, painstakingly made lists, schedules, etc... and when I finally got it all written down, it looks crazy.  :scared:  

But, certain things we won't be doing daily, and the basics really don't take a ton of time.  For instance, I read the bible stuff at breakfast, along with Notgrass History reading.  Then, they do the map work & wkbk (fast), MUS is done independently, and that's when I work with the other dc on English.  Again, not long, because a lot of R&S (especially for ds) is done orally.  I am using Truthquest to organize extra readers and read-alouds, and they won't be doing the notebook pages daily.  Apologia Botany will be a read aloud when we are going over the plant stuff w/Elemental Science.  The science will probably be the most time-consuming, and I'm saving the experiments for Fridays.  Along with notebooking, any lapbooks, art, etc....

So, is it so bad?

Here let me list the things you plan to use for LA, math, science, and history. Black font is both kids? Red font is the 11yo and yellow is the 9yo? Purple font is for things that you have and may use?

Language Arts

R&S English

OM English 5 Write Shop 1 (slowly)

Writing Strands 3, BF Teaching Char. Through Lit., Conf. of Homeschooler Lit Units & Inventors

Math

TT, MUS, LOF

Science

Elemental Science/Biology/Logic Stage,

Apologia Botany

OM 5 Env. Science

If & When/Conf. of Hser-Exped. Earth (when we feel like a break), Misc. Unit Studies (Myrna Martin's-Volcanoes, Oceans, Rock Cycle)

History

Notgrass-America the Beautiful,

Truthquest Early Am. History w/notebook pgs,

OM 5 History

Does that seem right?

Mandy

Here let me list the things you plan to use for LA, math, science, and history. Black font is both kids? Red font is the 11yo and yellow is the 9yo? Purple font is for things that you have and may use?

Language Arts

R&S English

OM English 5 Write Shop 1 (slowly)

Writing Strands 3, BF Teaching Char. Through Lit., Conf. of Homeschooler Lit Units & Inventors

Math

TT, MUS, LOF

Science

Elemental Science/Biology/Logic Stage,

Apologia Botany

OM 5 Env. Science

If & When/Conf. of Hser-Exped. Earth (when we feel like a break), Misc. Unit Studies (Myrna Martin's-Volcanoes, Oceans, Rock Cycle)

History

Notgrass-America the Beautiful,

Truthquest Early Am. History w/notebook pgs,

OM 5 History

Does that seem right?

Mandy

Mandy:

Yes!  (Don't forget Star Spangled States-geography!)

I know it seems like so much, and their are duplicate subjects, but there is a method to my madness. :D   The history "spine" is going to be Notgrass, but I'm using Truthquest so that I can add other readers & read alouds in, as well as using their notebook pages.  Normally, I'm not a textbook history person, but I wanted to do Notgrass so that we actually get through a full history curriculum in a year (which we never do) but if the dc want to read more about a certain person or event, I've got the TQ.  As well as giving us more books, which we always want.

The OM History is more because I want my dd to have some independent work, as well as for her to write more.  I am really impressed with the writing assignments & critical thinking in the OM History, so dd would be using it in that way.  While I have Write Shop in the schedule, I am going to see how everything else goes.  We may put it off for another year.  

Math looks like a lot, but the LOF books are the early, easy ones, and my dc love them.  I combine MUS & TT because I feel like they balance each other out.  MUS doesn't cover much with money, time, and other things, and TT does.  I like the intense focus of MUS on each concept, and my dc are really thriving with it, so I want to keep it.  Neither takes them a long time, and since they are basically independent at this point, they enjoy it.

Science does seem heavy, when you add in all of the unit studies, and again, we will have to see how it works.  Elemental Science Log. Stage seems pretty full, so maybe that will be all we can handle.  But, the unit studies can be done if we want a breather.  Apologia might just be done as a read aloud, so that we can get the Christian point of view.

I love R&S, and maybe Writing Strands isn't necessary, because they do have writing in their books, but I feel like neither dc has had any literature studies so far, and they need to.  That's why I added those.  For my dd, the OM may be enough, so the others might be eliminated.  (Or vice versa, maybe we'll throw out the OM)

The problem is, I've got all of these great resources, and I feel like I need to use them!  If they were just "okay", I would either sell, donate, or get rid of them-but they're good stuff!  How can I turn my back? :confused: