Menu

CLE Math: Differences between 1st grade and 2nd grade?

lea1

We are finishing up the CLE Math 100 series and I have been looking at the samples of the 200 series. It looks quite a bit different to me, am I wrong? It looks as if they are now teaching to the student and expecting the student to do more on their own. Is this right? What is with this pre-test; if you pass the pre-test you can skip some problems and if not you do the entire lesson? Is this throughout the entire 200 series?

If I liked the 100 series, will I also like the 200 series?

201 is a review of 100. Each lesson has a pretest. If the child passes the pretest they do not need any additional review and can skip the review portion during the next lesson. This is only for 201, not any of the other LU.

200 is written towards the student but I still go over everything with my DD.

HTH

Hi there :) I've used CLE math for 1st - 5th with my oldest boy and your totally right as the 2nd grade year goes forward more and more of the teaching is IN the student LU and less is required of the teacher/parent :)
In all grades (above 1st of course ;) ) the first x01 unit of Math is review from the prior year, just to make sure a child is ready for the new grade. If you are schooling year round you could skip that unit. My son likes doing it because of the special "fun" activites :)

If you liked CLE for 1st grade you should love it for 2nd grade ;) ... you can look at a sample for each unit on the CLE website, only 201 should be "quite a bit different" .. by the end of 2nd grade a student can be doing it nearly completely on their own.

I loved that with my oldest because my middle boy is special needs and took/takes a LOT of my time and attention!

HTH!