Menu

Cursive Writing...

Lanette

Over the summer, I taught my 8 yr old son how to write in cursive. I thought it would be a struggle (which is why I started him in the summer) but he caught on REALLY quick! However, I'm unsure about what to do for penmanship curriculum during the year. Okay, maybe "clueless" fits my description more. :)  And this will be my first time homeschooling both children ( 6 and 8 yr old boys). So I have one brushing up on his manuscript writing and one improving/learning cursive. I am using Rod and Staff for most of our curriculum, including the younger child's handwriting. But I'm having a problem finding cursive handwriting work to last all year long... Is there a reason for this?? Am I asking too much by looking for something that will last all year?? Lol HELP!!!! :) 

He's 8? Well, if he can write in cursive, then require him to write everything in cursive (except math word problems, and maps, if you have him label maps). He may not need an actual "curriculum."

R&S's 3rd grade "Penmanship for Christian Writing" has 60 lessons. If you do two days per lesson, that's 120 days--close enough for a whole school year. :-) That might be 5 minutes on the actual lesson (the page that you tear out of the workbook), plus practice on copywork and whatnot.

Yeah, he's always done pretty well at handwriting which I consider a blessing because I've always had horrible penmanship! LOL! Does anyone have any suggestions for about how long we should go before switching to notebook paper from the writing paper with the dots and lines on it? Or does it matter? I'm not too rigid in handwriting. I know every person has their own style and, as long as it's legible, I'm not too concerned. 

I teach that short letters fill 1/3 the space and that tall letters fill 2/3 the space. Otherwise the letters that hang below the line, overlap with the tall letters on the line below.

I sometimes buy special notebook paper with the dotted line at the 1/3 mark, but when I don't have any, I draw a light line with a pencil for the top line to get them going, and then draw a light line about 2 inches long at the start of each of the rest of the lines.