Menu

Foreign language for 6th grader - suggestions?

Slipper

My upcoming 6th grader asked today if she could learn a foreign language. She wants to learn either German or Chinese. Any suggestions? She hasn't had any foreign language and I'm not sure that there is anyone in our area that speaks either language, much less teaches it.

Is Rosetta Stone a good program? Would you suggest another one?

I was just looking around last night and found this:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/304280-resource-list-long-pt-1/?hl=%2Bgerman&do=findComment&comment=3070449

Duolingo.com is a fun site too.  And if you have access to Mango through the library, I would add that in.

Oh, and here is a link to easy readers in pdf format

http://www.childrensbooksforever.com/childrenpages/German1.html

I am currently teaching a group of students German and have spent more hours than I care to think combing the web trying to find helpful resources.

Rosetta Stone is a good product. However, its cost, in my opinion, is very much out of line with its value—which isn't a problem if money is no object for you. Please don't feel that you're missing out on the "right" way of teaching a language if you don't use it! I like RS myself, but it is not at all a complete program. Most of the students that I've talked to who've used the program did in fact learn something from it, but many of them hated it, and all believed that its value was limited.

My annotated list of resources and recommendations for studying German. I prepared this list mostly for my own students (ages 11-18). I have not marked all of these for appropriateness for various ages, especially since I haven't studied all of them.

KatherineTheGreat, thanks for the link to the children's books. That's one I hadn't come across yet.

I wouldn't recommend studying Chinese without a tutor, at least at the beginning.  Some people have had good luck with online tutoring.  The tones are so crucial to meaning and so hard to just pick up without help.  If you don't grow up with them, they are really, really hard to hear and mimic.

L

I wouldn't recommend studying Chinese without a tutor, at least at the beginning.  Some people have had good luck with online tutoring.  The tones are so crucial to meaning and so hard to just pick up without help.  If you don't grow up with them, they are really, really hard to hear and mimic.

L

I know someone who hired a student tutor from a Chinese buffet restaurant....