Menu

Help with Math for DS 10th grader

Guest littlejohnnycat

Guest littlejohnnycat

I am agonizing over choosing a math curriculum this year for my son.  We have used Saxon until 7th grade.  Then we switched to TT.  He hated it, my older daughter loved it.  9th Grade we started AoPs and he struggled with it.  It bothered him that he couldn't do all of the problems.  Halfway through the year I ordered Keys to Algebra and he was successful.  He is not so much a grab-his-book-and-go as he is a have-mom-explain sort of guy.  I understand his personality.  He likes companionship with chores, jobs, school work. 

He has matured in every way this past six months and is now ready to really learn.  He's had much to say about what he wants to learn now and thinking about his future.  So exciting!  Anyway, I am wondering if we should try TT Algebra 2 this year or which direction to go.  I prefer the Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry pattern.  It makes more sense than Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 pattern.  So I'm really looking into which curriculum.

Thank you - Cathi

He really needs to complete a full algebra 1 program before he moves to algebra 2. Keys is not sufficient to prepare him for algebra 2 although it could serve as an algebra program for a weak student who will not be proceeding further. With the foundation from Keys he should be able to move through pretty rapidly.

I would not use TT with him as he already hated it. Lial's (or another college developmental) might be a good choice as it's set up for the Alg 1 -> Alg 2 progression.

Is he against working via the computer? Derek Owens has math courses thru Calculus and the classes are self-paced. You can purchase the Algebra course, but the remaining courses are distant learning. Currently it is $58/month. But the student watches the videos, turns in the assignments and gets a grade. Derek Owens keeps a running transcript, and if you/student has questions, you e-mail him. He usually returns the e-mail within a day or two. My son has used it for 3 courses with great success. Worth checking out if he doesn't mind learning on the computer.