Menu

Vocabulary from Classical Roots - which level?

stephanino

My daughter is starting 7th grade and I'd like to use Vocabulary from Classical Roots. Should I go ahead and start with Level A even though she hasn't done any of the other levels?

I also have a 4th grader and was considering doing Level 4. Should I wait until he's a little older for these books?

Thanks in advance!

• 5 weeks later...

I'll share our experience, if it will help.  DS is advanced in vocab, working about 3 grade levels ahead - I only mention this in case you look at my sig and wonder why I placed him the way I did - including a more "traditional" vocabulary program (Wordly Wise), which he really likes and says he wants to continue all the way to the end.  I picked up Vocabulary from Classical Roots level A for him to try, because I wanted to add in more Latin root study to his primary vocab program.  But it turned out to be too difficult for him so we dropped it after a few weeks.  I believe it was partly because the material was above his working level but also because there wasn't enough instruction and practice in the VFCR workbook, and the workbook felt, I don't know, just less polished and organized than other programs I've seen since.  We could have backed up to an easier level in VFCR, but I was just not impressed with what I saw in it.  We started using English from the Roots Up as a supplement to our main vocab program (using the flashcards, notebooking, and ideas from here and here) and that went much better.  Currently we're using Caesar's English from MCT as our main program and *loving* it.  HTH.