Menu

Meet the Masters? Yes/no and why?

momsuz123

Hi all,

I have been really searching hard to figure out how to get my music and art loving 8 year old more interested in school. In another thread I started, someone mentioned Meet the Masters. Hmmmm...this looks good. I was even thinking that she may like to actually do some of the reading on the pdf's (gasp) - she does not like reading, but surprises me sometimes by what she can read.

Thoughts?

For me, the biggest pro was that it had a list of artist to be covered, and we paid for it, so by gum we were going to keep up.

The cons (for me) were: 1) it was scripted for a large group and often had a patronizing tone, 2) there were inconsistencies between what was covered in the lecture part and what was discussed or done in the project part, and 3) there was no apparent rhyme or reason to the order of the artists covered.

None of the cons are insurmountable.  I wasn't willing to pay for it again.  This year we are doing our own thing.

I was even thinking that she may like to actually do some of the reading on the pdf's (gasp) - she does not like reading, but surprises me sometimes by what she can read.

Thoughts?

The pdfs were not particularly difficult, but they are definitely written to be read by the teacher to the students, they are a bit dry and ask questions (with suggested answers in parentheses).  My kids really liked reading the Mike Venezia books about the individual artists.

HTH