Menu

Visual Latin and a question about complementing curriculum?

All I can say is that Visual Latin is awesome! I can't help but feel like most boys would enjoy it even if they don't normally like languages. I learned Latin the more "traditional textbook" way, with Wheelocks Latin at New Saint Andrews College, and really struggled. I WISH they had this series when I was learning! Two of my siblings did Lingua Latina and loved it, and I have started in on Visual Latin just for self-improvement.

I actually created a video course for a Latin curriculum for Logos School, and when Logos was thinking about doing more levels I encouraged them to carry Visual Latin instead until they were ready.

So from someone that has been exposed to many latin programs, and live in a town where Latin teachers abound (seriously, I go downtown and the New Saint Andrews College students are SPEAKING in Latin to each other - they use Lingua Latina), Visual Latin is what I will be using for my kids, and I'm doing it ahead of them now!

• 6 months later...

I know this post is old, but could I work through Lingua Latina with my daughter if I have never been exposed to Latin?  It seems very overwhelming for someone who has no experience with the language.  I also can't find a description anywhere of what I would want to buy to do the program.  I assume book, teachers manual and audio CD at the very least?  The websites I have found aren't very helpful.  Anyone?

I know this post is old, but could I work through Lingua Latina with my daughter if I have never been exposed to Latin?  It seems very overwhelming for someone who has no experience with the language.  I also can't find a description anywhere of what I would want to buy to do the program.  I assume book, teachers manual and audio CD at the very least?  The websites I have found aren't very helpful.  Anyone?

Yes, it would be overwhelming. The LL curriculum was designed to be used by knowledgeable Latin teachers. The book makes a great reader to use with Latin students (which is what I do) but you really need a didactic workbook or program that will actually teach you the conjugations and noun cases, etc. The middle school text-workbook I recently published on Lulu was actually designed with the vocabulary overlapping with Lingua Latina so that it would help students get into that. But there are many other good programs you could use which have been mentioned above and are well known. One of the most thorough for younger students is Latin for Children. My little text-workbook is called Latina Ponti.