Menu

IEW and The Arrow (BW)?

AimeeM

I ordered IEW SWI-B for my rising 7th grader.

My husband also likes the looks of The Arrow (from Bravewriter). I would NOT be using the writing program, just The Arrow.

Would these work well together? She struggles with grammar, and I'm not fond of the 7-10th grade lit selections (I find some of the content inappropriate for an 11 year old), so we'd be using The Arrow (3rd-6th grade).

I also noticed that they have the option of ordering single back issues. That would probably be ideal for us - do you have any favs?

We alternate weeks between the two, and that plan works well here.

DS is 12 and 9YO brother is doing SWI-A, not B. We started Arrow with Harry Potter, and it was brilliant. After week 1 of Phantom Tollbooth, the boys said, "We cannot wait to read this book again." DS9 wants to read it for himself.

I haven't used IEW, but I think IEW and BW (of which The Arrow is a piece) have very different goals in terms of writing.  IEW is really all about academic writing.  BW is more about developing voice and lifelong writing.  But sometimes you want things with different goals, so they might be fine together.

I would definitely do the HSBC deal where you get a bundle of back issues.  If you're unsure, do the bundle of 5.  The Arrow books range from really easy like Ben and Me to much more complex, so with an older child, getting the back issues lets you pick and choose some of the more complex titles.

Some of the titles that would fill that bill to me include:

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn

Esperanza Rising

The Hero and the Crown

Harriet the Spy

Journey to Jo'Berg

Be prepared that the Arrow is really thin.  There are the four passages for dictation, with notes on how to teach them, a short set of notes to guide you in discussing the book, and a writing assignment that ties either to the book or the literary theme you're invited to discuss.  While there's a lot of meat there, I think it initially looks really simple to people.

I haven't used IEW, but I think IEW and BW (of which The Arrow is a piece) have very different goals in terms of writing.  IEW is really all about academic writing.  BW is more about developing voice and lifelong writing.  But sometimes you want things with different goals, so they might be fine together.

I would definitely do the HSBC deal where you get a bundle of back issues.  If you're unsure, do the bundle of 5.  The Arrow books range from really easy like Ben and Me to much more complex, so with an older child, getting the back issues lets you pick and choose some of the more complex titles.

Some of the titles that would fill that bill to me include:

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn

Esperanza Rising

The Hero and the Crown

Harriet the Spy

Journey to Jo'Berg

Be prepared that the Arrow is really thin.  There are the four passages for dictation, with notes on how to teach them, a short set of notes to guide you in discussing the book, and a writing assignment that ties either to the book or the literary theme you're invited to discuss.  While there's a lot of meat there, I think it initially looks really simple to people.

I went to the HSBC site. I've never ordered anything from there - do I need to sign up?

I noticed the Harry Potter back Arrow isn't available :(

You do have to sign up for HSBC to order from them, but it's free and easy to do and you don't have to give them a credit card number or anything.  They will send you their emails all the time, but I think you can unsubscribe.

I think they only have the Arrows from at least a full year ago and HP was from more recently?

Hmmm I got the Harry Potter Arrow through the HSBC not very long ago during their sale.  You could always write to Julie and ask?

Julie?

No. *cringe* I didn't think to.

I went ahead and ordered two units (one being the Harry Potter book, because she loves HP, but honestly the work seemed pretty young for her, so I also ordered a Boomerang unit) through their regular site, to see if Autumn cares for it; if she does, then I'll order from HSBC next time.